Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Do you ever go off playing games?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2005, 11:35 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever go off playing games?

I've been an avid gamer since I was about 5 now when I had an Intellivision, and i've been through every genre - Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, Megadrive, PS1 and currently PS2 and Xbox.

I've always loved gaming and until last year I used to put in a good 5 hours a week at least, sometimes much more when i got a new big game such as GTA:SA which I would batter every evening when the Mrs had retired for 2-3 hours.

We moved into our new house last Dec and since then I seem to have stopped gaming as much. Any new games i've bought, including Forza, GT4 and all the other biggies have probably had about 10 hours play for each, and in the last 2-3 months any new games have hardly been touched - i've done maybe 3 hours on PES5 and haven't even opened Chaos Theory that I bought 3 months back.

Now with the 360 coming, which I want to buy I dont seem as bothered as I used to be.

Maybe its down to having too many DIY jobs to do on the new house, or trying to get the track car finished, but in the evenings I prefer to watch TV and read magazines and can never be motivated to switch the consoles on - case in point, Mrs is away all week in New York, so I should be taking advantage and hammering the games all night, but I just dont seem that bothered.

Anyone else ever had this? Starting to annoy me now, maybe i'm just getting old

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 01 December 2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01 December 2005, 11:38 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

well to be honest Im bored sh!tless of my PS2 now, my PC has taken over for gaming in the evenings but want to get back to sitting on the sofa and gaming rather than upstairs with headphones on etc hence the xbox360, but I dont know why I want one because theres no games Im interested in. online play is all that Im interested in now. 1 player games are for hermits lol
Old 01 December 2005, 11:45 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I get very little time these days too, maybe 4-5 hours gaming a week and a few hours playing Mashed with the lads on a Thursday night. Only real chances are when the other half is out or she's gone to bed.

Always seems to be something else needs doing thats more pressing . . . like building a multi-storey shoe rack

I put it down to DIY and demanding women
Old 01 December 2005, 11:45 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cant be doing with online play tbh, all my experience of it is just people cheating their ***** off or messing about in games, so I dont bother with that, besides I AM a hermit
Old 01 December 2005, 12:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I used to play the ps1 bightly, ditto the ps2

once i got the net active my gaming has dropped to mebbe once a week, depending on what game it is..

trouble is theres a lot of eye candy games out there at the mo, with b*gger all game play.

Who wants to purchase a game at £39.99 and 20 hours later have completed it.

dont use the pc for playing many games, to many key/mouse combo things..

give me a game with good game play addictive puzzles and probs, and i,m hooked..

longest game to date... ff7 100 hours...

curse of the azure bonds... off and on on the amiga over 2 years!!!

Mart
Old 01 December 2005, 12:53 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Don't touch the PS2 anymore - the graphics just don't cut it; even Gran Turismo has lost the wow factor. I'd sell it tbh, but the fact that it's chipped limits the marketplace (i.e. no ebay).

Online gaming on the pc is pretty good, however. Real live players beat AI hands down and the banter can be a laugh. If it wasn't for online I'd have stopped by now.
Old 01 December 2005, 12:59 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're getting old mate! I know - I'm there myself. Just can't find the time these days to get a decent couple of hours in front of a game. I'm more interested in what's for dinner rather than the new xbox. GTA:SA was one of those games that really sucked you in but you get to 96% or so and you get a bit bored and so it collects dust.

I've got a couple of games that I can come back to every now and again: CS, Mechcommander, Praetorians but ultimately there is always something else that needs doing around the house.

My longest game was Ultima7 The Black Gate, played it (and completed it) for nearly 3 years!
Old 01 December 2005, 01:40 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Dont knock all online play DW, not every game is rife with cheaters. PunkBuster has solved a lot of issues with many PC games. I think you need to play some BF2 with the Scoobynet guys (blatant plug) , great fun listening to all the dodgy accents with Teamspeak

My gaming experience was rekindled whith the team based combat of BF2

Jim
Old 01 December 2005, 01:56 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

BF2 really got me back into gaming - previously a console kid and used to buy all the big releases and only play them for about 10hrs like you DW...

Started playing UT'04 and BF Vietnam, but didn't play online much (except for UT).
Then got BF2 and I'm just completely hooked...
Old 01 December 2005, 02:00 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

long enough for the Mrs to get annoyed
I think we all suffer from that side effect.
Old 01 December 2005, 03:44 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean. I find that a lot of the games that I have been playing recently I've simply been 'going through the motions'. For instance, even the mighty PGR2, I lost my saves, and now am just playing through to get the % up. Ended up doing the same on GT4, completing the endurance races just to get the % up and fill the garage.

Sadly, my current addiction is Maple Story, but now that's just turning into a levelling-up exercise and there's no way as an occasional gamer to catch up with the types of players who have obviously put months of solid gameplay into it.

I think I'm actually playing the games to prove to myself I still have the spare time to indulge myself (when in reality I don't!). I'm certainly not getting the enjoyment out of them that I used to, that's for sure.

Cheers
Joolz
Old 01 December 2005, 04:18 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I hardly play anything these days - life has just got too busy with work and young family. The only game I play on a daily basis is www.lasersquadnemesis.com - as turns only take 5 mins (highly recommended gam btw).

I often download the odd demo for the PC to see how graphics are improving but don't tend to play anything. Got a PSP when they came out and played that a fair bit when I was up all night with my newborn but even that has slowed down.

Richard.
Old 01 December 2005, 04:57 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Bottom line - we're all getting old(er)
Old 01 December 2005, 06:03 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

I agree, I have noticed I have been buying games, hardly playing them and then just swapping them in, I suspect a lot of it is down to the fact that the games are very much same old, same old but faster, better graphics etc etc. Really undecided about a 360. PSP Colin McRae 05 was the biggest disappointment, they added nothing....what a waste. 1 day and back to Game.

But then just occasionally a game like SWOS comes along and it all starts again - lets hope the new version is as good at the classic....
Old 01 December 2005, 07:26 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

2 things seem to be coming from this, we're getting old and are married, guess thats the issue

mart360, same here for FF7, 100 hours of the best game ever made. The final battle with Sephiroph is something I will never forget, very difficult but ultimately rewarding.
Old 02 December 2005, 07:18 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

dont really get time to play as above most say .havent touched the xbox in 5 months
or the ps2 he says looking at about 60 new games "cough" 30 each machine i havent
even touched .. TIME IS THE THING

but battlefield2 always wins the day even when drunk @ 3 am

its a blast best buy of 2005
Old 02 December 2005, 09:00 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Spent 3 hours on Forza last night which was fun
Old 02 December 2005, 09:56 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have to buy BF2 seeing as everybody has been banging on about it!

I can see this forum changing from "Computer Related" to "Gardening Related" over the next year or so

Originally Posted by DrEvil
Bottom line - we're all getting old(er)
...and for some the mileage shows
Old 02 December 2005, 10:06 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I have NEVER been addicted to a game like I was to Jet Set *****. Prob the best game ever. Of course these things are relative but a certain degree of playability and longevity is missing from many modern games (has been for quite a while) whereas back 15/20 years ago they HAD to make games playable as they couldn't rely on making them 'flashy', style over substance these days for many games.

Put it this way, what's more fun, a Peugeot 205 GTI or a 206gti? Cars (& games) have moved on of course, but many of them have lost the plot.
Old 02 December 2005, 01:08 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

I still enjoy my gaming, but I go through stages during the year when i want/dont want to play.
Can leave the PS2 for 2-3months then get the notion and go back to it for a month or so then drop it again.
GTA:SA rules to roost at the moment and will probably continue to do so for a good while, although I still like to go back to Tiger Woods 04 and have a few rounds against the mates whenever possible.

As its xmas time there is always good games coming out, although the only one that I fancy a look at is Gun, anyone got it?
Old 02 December 2005, 02:27 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I might have to buy BF2 seeing as everybody has been banging on about it!
Looks like another bunny hopper joining in soon

I can see this forum changing from "Computer Related" to "Gardening Related" over the next year or so
...and for some the mileage shows
Speak for yourself!
Old 02 December 2005, 02:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lawson101
I still enjoy my gaming, but I go through stages during the year when i want/dont want to play.
Can leave the PS2 for 2-3months then get the notion and go back to it for a month or so then drop it again.
GTA:SA rules to roost at the moment and will probably continue to do so for a good while, although I still like to go back to Tiger Woods 04 and have a few rounds against the mates whenever possible.

As its xmas time there is always good games coming out, although the only one that I fancy a look at is Gun, anyone got it?
Asking someone about this last night, its supposed to be like GTA:SA but without cars (you get horses instead) and obviously set in western times. Graphics are supposed to be poor but gameplays OK.
Old 02 December 2005, 11:18 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

I was addicted to counter Strike when it was first released, I joined a clan and played several times a week.. i was very good and was accused of cheating all the time (no i never have)

But all i have to show for it now is RSI in my wrist from using a mouse too much which is a real sh1tter as i work in IT so have to use one all day long that has cut my gaming down to a low level.

I never got into the console thing, i've had a ps and ps2 but they were rarly used. have always kept with the pc as they provided the best game experience.
Old 02 December 2005, 11:55 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Once they start coding to make use of the new dual core processors we should have some mind blowing games
Old 03 December 2005, 12:17 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Erm yes lol.......

Counterstrike. Played since Beta 4 and still playing now. Just played about 4hrs tonight on the trot. Every now and again I uninstall it which is good because when its installed I play at every opportunity.

Simon.
Old 03 December 2005, 10:27 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Just deleted the last of my games off my PC, don't/haven't played any in months. PS2 is sitting idle, hardly touched that as well. I'd put myself in the fun-gamer catagory, except for about 2 years of counterstrike every night, I generally played games for fun most evenings. I now hardly play any at all, mainly due to wife/son/house/work/webstuff/

Getting a psp for xmas, which I'm hoping will get me back into playing a few games, but I doubt I'll ever play as much as I did. I think a general apathy about gaming comes around once in a while, and until something good comes along to shake you from it, you're better off going and doing something else.

Dave
Old 04 December 2005, 12:58 AM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

used to be a ps2 man myself but since bf2 and bf2:sf on pc im completley (?) hooked. brother in laws fault. always thought there was too many buttons and mouse things to do.