Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet Connection Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 05:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet Connection Sharing

Hello all,
A co-worker has a home setup with a PC and a Macintosh. He currently has a DSL connection, which he is using for the PC (DSL modem has LAN socket, so he's plugged that into the ethernet port on his PC)
He'd ideally like to have both machines on the internet at the same time.

He's mentioned ICS to me. Now, I've never really played around with it, hence the post. I've read a little bit but I'm unclear as to whether I'll need another ethernet card in the PC or not. If I were to get a hub (DSL modem into hub, PC and Mac into hub) then would that negate the need for an additional network card in the PC?

What exactly does ICS do? sounds like it sets up DHCP on the PC, if so, does it do any port forwarding?

Thanks for any info.
Old 25 November 2005, 05:33 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You'd normally use 2 LAN cards on the Wintel box, yes. It means the Wintel piece of shiite would be responsible for the Mac being able to access the internet.....may not have the desired affect! ICS provides DHCP and proxy services, as well as limited firewall capabilities.

Apple must have something similar, and better, for the Mac.......

Or just get a wireless ADSL router/firewall combo - much better in the long run. Hardware is cheap nowadays.

Richard
Old 25 November 2005, 07:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Richard,
Yup, there is an ICS thing in Mac OS X, and I might enable that, firewall will be much better, plus it'll probably be easier to configure.

Funnily enough the DSL modem is a router/modem, same model as my one, so it probably can do DHCP and NAT, however, I don't fancy reconfiguring it and messing it up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 25 November 2005, 10:32 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I have a wireless router onto NTL and then 2 pcs and another mac hanging off the G5 connected to the net via airport. It all works fine.
Weird thing was the settings were not easy to come by. My wireless router is allowin 192.168.0.1-x with the G5 being .5 and set to airport.
The ethernet is then set to 192.168.2.1 and then under sharing it share from airport to ethernet.
THe PCs and other mac are all 192.168.2.x and the gateway set to 192.168.2.1

Seems fine, never drops the connect except for a couple of occassions when the internet sharing became switched off