Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Whats the different between: ADSL and DSL cable?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2005, 05:35 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the different between: ADSL and DSL cable?

What are the differences?
Whats the better?

Darren
Old 21 November 2005, 05:43 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

No real difference - DSL uses your telephone system (socket, wiring), whereas cable uses Telewest or NTL's own proprietary socket.

I personally use Blueyonder as they impose no download restrictions, not to mention upgrading my package all the time free of charge.

If you intend to buy broadband router - make sure you ask for a router thats for either DSL broadband OR cable broadband.
Old 21 November 2005, 06:00 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I thought that DSL was cable??

I already have NTL 2mb BB.

just really wanted to know the differences betten say BT ADSL BB and say NTL Cable BB
Old 21 November 2005, 06:58 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

DSL is Digital Line Subscriber offering two types of connection, ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line) and SDSL (Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line).

SDSL is the more expensive, but offers the most bandwidth, the bandwidth of both the upstream and the downstream are the same speed. Normally used for businesses to connect LANS together.

ADSL is cheaper, but the upstream bandwidth is smaller than the downstream. Normally used for residential.

Both DSL and Cable are Cable, DSL is copper, Cable is normally Coaxial. DSL lines are normally dedicated connections to each individual household, whereas Cable Coaxial is shared connectivity distributed amoungst connecting parties.

Personally I prefer DSL technology.
Old 22 November 2005, 01:44 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Much clearer

Originally Posted by mark.coleman
DSL is Digital Line Subscriber offering two types of connection, ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line) and SDSL (Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line).

SDSL is the more expensive, but offers the most bandwidth, the bandwidth of both the upstream and the downstream are the same speed. Normally used for businesses to connect LANS together.

ADSL is cheaper, but the upstream bandwidth is smaller than the downstream. Normally used for residential.

Both DSL and Cable are Cable, DSL is copper, Cable is normally Coaxial. DSL lines are normally dedicated connections to each individual household, whereas Cable Coaxial is shared connectivity distributed amoungst connecting parties.

Personally I prefer DSL technology.