Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

wake on lan

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2005, 08:31 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wake on lan

so what tool is everyone using to wake the pc's

I tried a 3com version but it wouldn't see pc's the other side of our vlan
Old 13 November 2005, 09:39 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
so what tool is everyone using to wake the pc's

I tried a 3com version but it wouldn't see pc's the other side of our vlan
The wake on LAN is a power save feature. In other words when the PC goes in to standby mode if the LAN card gets any traffic then it wakes the PC out of Standby mode.
Not sure what you are asking?
Old 13 November 2005, 10:05 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
The wake on LAN is a power save feature. In other words when the PC goes in to standby mode if the LAN card gets any traffic then it wakes the PC out of Standby mode.
Not sure what you are asking?
The wake-on-lan feature means that the PC can actually be OFF with just power supplied to the ethernet card. There are applications out there which can send a special command to the card to make the PC boot up.

As for which ones, It's been a while since I've experimented with this but didnt have much success unfortunately, tried a couple of applications.
Old 13 November 2005, 10:09 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
The wake-on-lan feature means that the PC can actually be OFF with just power supplied to the ethernet card. There are applications out there which can send a special command to the card to make the PC boot up.

As for which ones, It's been a while since I've experimented with this but didnt have much success unfortunately, tried a couple of applications.
Can also be used when A PC is in standby mode also,depending on Windows O/S.
Old 15 November 2005, 06:32 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk

im not the only one then,
Old 15 November 2005, 09:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Things to bear in mind when using WOL.

Firstly, make sure the machine is soft powered off, and not hard powered off. Soft being that the power switch on the PSU is not set to "off", hard being that it it is set to "off". I'm 99 percent sure that a machine that is "hard" won't be able to accept WOL from anything.

Another thing to check out is firewalls/switches/routers/anything else that may be blocking traffic. It's possible that some network device is set to specificaly deny WOL traffic.

Barring those things, it's possible the card might not support WOL, or be configured to do that, I have some recollection that a few of the cards I had supported WOL and came with a little cable you needed to attach, one end to the card, one end to the motherboard, without this it would not WOL.

Have a look at this site for a few utils, and I think an online WOL utility.

Also, this page might be of use.
Old 16 November 2005, 12:30 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

main prob is the WOL packets dont route, although they should .... The trouble is that most routers/firewalls drop them

Last edited by warrenm2; 16 November 2005 at 12:33 AM.