Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Telephone ext cable suitable for ADSL?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2005, 03:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be very surprised if a new extension cable were to cause any problem. The whole point of ADSL is that it works over long lengths of p*ss-poor telephone cable between the exchange and your house, so another few metres of the same inside the building is very unlikely to cause any problem.
Old 11 November 2005, 03:45 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have absoloutly **** poor wiring at work and it doesn't cause any problems, I have about 4 extensions and several ADSL adaptors all in one socket as well as phones plugged in with no filters.

Amazingly no problems yet!

Its more like there is a problems with BT's wires!
Old 11 November 2005, 05:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about using Network cabling, eg Cat5 cable? I've had a new new ADSL connection put into my apartment here and I learnt a lot when the chap installed it.

I thought that all the six wires in the cable were being used, however, only two were being used for the line, so to activate a new line for the ADSL, the chap just fitted a double faceplate on the wall, and connected up one of the other "pairs" to this new socket, then did the same at the demarcation point.

The point being, if there are less than eight wires being used (from looking at a Cat 5 cable, it's got 8 wires in it) and I think the UK phone uses four, then you could do two things. Get a good quality made up calbe and chop the connectors off it (a bit pointless) or just get a good run of decent cable and connect it up.

Whether a network cable is any better quality than phone extension cable, I could not say. I would guess that high end network cable would have shielding and things like that, which might make a difference, then again, maybe not.
Old 11 November 2005, 06:04 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal extensions runs are not normally twisted pair and may cause problems (signal degredation) with ADSL. Crap wiring is a common cause for ADSL problems.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 11 November 2005, 07:00 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

RS, Misco, Maplins and maybe even B&Q. I have got loads but Kent's a bit far from Leeds!!

TONY
Old 11 November 2005, 07:09 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

..........even Screwfix sell it these days!!

I can still remember flogging it at £125.00 per box Happy Days

TONY
Old 11 November 2005, 07:59 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I recently fitted a 30m ADSL extension cable using a genuine BT with Cat 5e cable that I ordered from Clarity IT.

http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/adsl_extensions.html

Cat 5e cable is twisted pair and specified for speeds up to 1000MB/s.

Gary.
Old 12 November 2005, 12:33 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

2 pair CW1308 telephone cable will be just fine if you have some rather than buying Cat.5e specially for the job.

As for distance - just go for it as limit is around 800 metres. All the clever stuff is done at the exchange by the D-SLAM

If your router measures/monitors the noise on the line (which increases with distance from the exchange) see how many db it reports. If it is less than 43db no worries. If it's more than 60db your ADSL connection won't work.

Cheers
TONY
Old 12 November 2005, 04:33 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

That's quite high. How far from the physical exchange do you live?

TONY
Old 12 November 2005, 05:54 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Routers should be off the master socket in reality..... it would also be worth trying (from master socket) with othert phone sockets used and with them not used.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:10 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I think those attenuation figures are outside the stated range for a 2MB/s service to work at all.

I'd suggest posting on http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ - there are some pretty knowledgeable people on there who may be able to help further.

Gary.
Old 14 November 2005, 10:16 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

This is likely a very long shot, but are you still with the same ISP and do you have a static IP address?

Several years ago I had a problem of ongoing random disconnections and downtime of my ADSL service which persisted for several weeks. It turned out that my ISP had also assigned my (static) IP address to someone else. Being able to ping my home PC from work, despite all my equipment being turned off was a bit of a giveaway!

If you get no joy from BT then it may be worth seeing if any other providers have taken advantage of Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) at your exchange. Switching to another LLU provider wouldn't eliminate a problem with the copper between your house and the exchange, but it would at least mean your phoneline was plugged into a different piece of hardware at the exchange itself.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php is a good resource which shows you where your local exchange is (so you can see how far you are from it, at least as the crow flies) and what service providers are active there.

I hope you get it sorted. I know how much fast internet is integrated into our lives now, and how frustrating problems with broadband can be as a result.

Gary.

Last edited by GCollier; 14 November 2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 14 November 2005, 10:33 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

/bump - as above reply was not showing up for some reason.