Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2005, 11:43 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ADSL problem?

I have a Netgear D834GT and we're getting problems where it keeps dropping the ADSL connection. Should the green ADSL light on the front be a steady signal all the time? Ours flickers a lot and occassionally switches to the yellow light meaning it's lost the ADSL completely. Is this likely to be a BT or ISP issue (V21 are ISP).
Also we have about a dozen phone points in the house, does it make any difference if the ADSL isn't connected to the main incoming socket?

Thanks
Old 01 October 2005, 12:14 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

12 sockets? That's a bunch of spaghetti!

It's more likely to be a wiring fault than your ISP. First off, find the master socket. This looks like a normal BT socket but it has a blanking plate underneath the phonejack. Unscrew the plate and connect your PC there. This will give you the 'cleanest' connection possible beyond BT's world.

This should clear your problem and if it does, you ought to run a new wire from the master socket to the place where you plug your PC in.

Cheers
Kav

PS - You may have to hump bits of kit about to do the test unless you have a laptop to do the test with.
Old 01 October 2005, 12:16 PM
Rusty.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Also we have about a dozen phone points in the house, does it make any difference if the ADSL isn't connected to the main incoming socket?

Thanks
For starters, BT lines only support a REN value of 4. Each handset, answer machine, fax machine or bell has a value of one so if you have six this could cause a problem before you even introduce ADSL.

Secondly, each device MUST have a filter on it. My father has a bell at the front of his house as when the phone at the back of the house rings, he can't hear it. His connection was crap until, After several hours of pulling his system apart, I realised the Bell was a BT speaker plugged into a phone extension socket. Put a filter in and problem solved

Third point ot watch out for, and I see this one all the time on extensions, is make sure you have not filtered out the ADSL on an extension!!! Temptation to cut the number of filters in use can result in filtering out the ADSL from the ADSL router

Best way to trouble shoot your system is to unplug EVERY single handset, etc and just run the router with the filter at the end of the extension cable next to the router. If this works fine, add each handset one by one until all working fine.

Cheers, Jonathan

Ps. I do site visits if you are in Workington or Didcot

PPs. Try my suggestions before unscrewing any wires lol

Last edited by Rusty.; 01 October 2005 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Spooling
Old 01 October 2005, 12:39 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, only phone we have in the house in a digital thingy with four handsets and that's plugged directly into the filter. I'll see if I can find the master socket and try that. I've got BT checking the line just now as well.

Rusty - Workington and Didcot are only about 650 miles away......thanks anyhow.

Kevin.
Old 01 October 2005, 03:30 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BT are upgrading a lot of ADSL lines FoC at the moment. This is being done using a database for which ones to upgrade to 2Mb or 1 Mb.....they aren't actually doing line tests after the upgrade to prove that the upgrade works. Worth checking with your ISP to see if your line has been upgraded recently.