Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

2 Problems- 1.) Cant delete a file... HELP! 2.) CPU Usage 100% and slows pc up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 07:35 PM
Jap Imports
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Problems- 1.) Cant delete a file... HELP! 2.) CPU Usage 100% and slows pc up!!!

I have a File in My Documents and i can not delete it, (It always come up "in use by another program or user")
Any Idea' people

Also,

In windows Task manager my CPU Usage goes to 100% for no reason and slows pc up.

Any idea's

Old 28 September 2005, 07:38 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

boot the pc in safe mode and you should be able to delete the file

virus ??
Old 28 September 2005, 08:39 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Talking

In XP do ctr+alt+del and look at the processes shut the one down thats causing the problem, run msconfig and go to startup and look at whats loading, untick anything you are not sure of and reboot, then got to www.pandasoftware.co.uk and run an online scan

Originally Posted by Jap Imports
I have a File in My Documents and i can not delete it, (It always come up "in use by another program or user")
Any Idea' people

Also,

In windows Task manager my CPU Usage goes to 100% for no reason and slows pc up.

Any idea's

Old 29 September 2005, 12:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Press CTRL-ALT and delete to bring up Task Manager. Click on the 'User Name' field at the top so it lists all the processes by user name. Don't terminate any processes by LOCAL SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE or SYSTEM. Terminate all processes by the current user with the exception of 'taskmgr.exe' and 'explorer.exe'. Try to delete the file. If the file has somehow write-protected itself, right-click on it and select 'properties'. Look at 'attributes' at the bottom and make sure 'Read only' is not ticked.
Old 29 September 2005, 12:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the locked file just logoff n back on again, then u sbe able to delete it. If not and even after a reboot, then try it in safemode.

Use MS Antispyware, n Spybot to clean ure system of malware which is the probable cause of the high cpu usage.
Old 01 October 2005, 11:02 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

After all above, visit www.javacoolsoftware.com and download Spywareguard & Spywareblaster. These two programs are brilliant at keeping your comp spyware free.
Old 01 October 2005, 11:21 AM
Chachi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap Imports
Any Idea' people

Also,

Any idea's

I've had quite a few files with XP that get locked up, do a search on web for Move on boot & Delete on boot. Fantastic little tool for deleting stubborn files. Just make sure that it's not a system file before you do!

Get your antivirus up to date and do a full scan and get the spyware stuff on.

For your 100%, make sure your not running out of disk space! could be something as simple as a paging overload!
Old 01 October 2005, 11:38 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

what's the file name? not pagefile.sys is it?