Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop screen descriptions

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 11:03 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Laptop screen descriptions

Recently had to return a Vaio laptop due to a reccuring optical drive problem but as I've now got a full refund burning a hole in my pocket I need to start the search for it's replacement.

Thing is I really liked the x-black gloss finish screen on the Vaio and when browsing in the stores there seems to be a lot that still have the old matt finish. I think I might buy my next one online to save a few quid and don't want to open the box and find out I've bought one with the old style screen on it.

What is the description of the gloss effect screens to make sure I don't get caught out? I thought it was anything with an x in it but when looking at a Toshiba with a WXGA TFT display it was the older style.

Is there any way to be sure without seeing it in the flesh??

Cheers.
Old 16 September 2005, 03:22 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WXGA (Wide XGA) is the screen size and has nothing to do with the screen type. Different manufacturers give it different names, ACER call it Crystal Bright on their laptops.

I dont think there is a standard naming convetion for it, best just to read the detailed specs on the manufacturers websites.

Mark

p.s, totally agree the gloss screens are great.