Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Using additional PC (temporary) with NTL BB & VPN

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2005, 04:00 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using additional PC (temporary) with NTL BB & VPN

Hope someone can answer this for me.

I've got a laptop from work which I need to be able to connect to a VPN via NTL Broadband.
According to our IT bods, the PC is set up fine.Thing is I need to know if there's anything I need to do via NTL to get access as it's not working.

When I try to connect, I get an error saying 'VPN sub-system not available.You cannot connect to the network'

Do I need to go to NTL via dial up first, before I can get BB access with this machine?

I'm completely lost.All I want to do is unplug the ethernet cable from my desk top and connect it to the business laptop when I need to get network access. (connection is via a set top box).

Help!!
Old 11 September 2005, 04:45 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Its been a while since I was on NTL.

If you are using either the usb (if you have it) or the ethernet port directly into one computer, the modem/stb will allow on 1 mac address on at any one time. This is normally tied to the ip address lease.

You either have to wait for the lease to expire, you might get round it by releasing the address on the main pc when its connected to the modem and connecting the laptop..

If you plan on swapping computers around a lot, I would suggest you get a router and one that supports vpn pass through.

H
Old 11 September 2005, 05:33 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

H,

Thanks for responding.

I'll need to switch over frequently (i.e. when working at home, I'll need the business PC, and then the desk top at all other times).

How do I release the IP address on main PC? How do I then pick it up for the alternate machine?

I'm not too bad with basic IT stuff, but this is a bit beyond me!!

Cheers
Steve
Old 11 September 2005, 06:02 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Depending of what os you run. If Windows, then the basic command you need to know is "ipconfig". Type this in a command prompt window.

"ipconfig /all" shows all the adapters and their associated info.
"ipconfig /release" will release dynamically assigned ip's. Usually you would use this command followed by the adapter name if you have more than one.
"ipconfig /renew" same as above but the opoosite effect.
"ipconfig /?" shows you what the command can do.

If releasing the ip doesnt allow another computer to pick up the connection, then you would have to wait till the ip expires or may have to reboot the stb for things to work..

If the laptop is powered on after connecting up, it should pickup an ip. If its on, use the renew command. Be aware that some work laptops are locked down so you can't run the ipconfig command to do much. If this all works and you can't release, you may have to wait a day or so before your desktop will work again.

Buy a cable router, it makes this a lot easier. Cost wise, it'll be around £30 upwards for a router. I personally prefer Zyxel routers.

Good luck.

H