Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

linking 2 pc's

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2005, 09:42 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default linking 2 pc's

Hello IT peeps,

Quick question for you, I need to link my laptop to my old pc to transfer some files across. Is it possible to do this with a USB link? If so is it easier to configure than an ethernet link? I have tried connecting them via lan but although they seem to find each other I am getting "access denied" problems etc.

I could really do with a quick fix to this as I'm off to the gulf this evening for a while and want to take my music, videos and piccies with me. I've just about got time to get to currys and grab a usb cable if this is the way forward, any help appreciated.

Cheers chaps/chappesses.
Ritchie
Old 06 September 2005, 09:47 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

It's much easier to do it via ethernet, if you can see the other PC you must be able to transfer data. Do you have any firewalls (even the XP default one)? You may have to disable it (for a quick fix) or allow the other computer through the firewall.

Steve
Old 06 September 2005, 09:56 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Tried disabling firewalls, I think it may be my old desktop as it did this very same thing when I tried connecting it to my girlfriends desktop - again to retrieve files. The message it comes up with is something like " you do not have permission to access this ......... privileges etc...." The other thing is if you try accessing the other pc from my old pc it won't have it at all. Is it possible I have the wrong cable?
Old 06 September 2005, 11:22 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

you need to link them with a cross over cable

are you using xp pro

are the computers on the same workgroup (right click my computer and properties and then the computer name tab)

if so ensure the firewalls are disabled and create 1 identical user on each pc basically same username and password and make sure they both have admin rights on each machine.

make a note of each computer name (right click my computer and properties and then the computer name tab)

if the destination computer is called comp go into start then run and type

\\comp\c$ (\\computer name\drive)

\\ is the network path

comp is the computer name

\c$ is basically the c drive of the destination machine, d$ would be the d drive and so on.

because the user accounts are the same it will go straight in if not it will ask you to provide a user name and password.

this will only work with xp pro mind as home does not have $ shares

Last edited by mike1210; 06 September 2005 at 11:44 AM.