Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sharing BT broadband

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2005, 09:41 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing BT broadband

This is for the gf, so i need to understand how. With NTL its 24/7 connection but at her's looking yesterday its like a "dial up" setup.

How do i share it?Want to use 4 port router. BUT where does the dial up software fit in? does everywork station need it?

S
Old 04 September 2005, 10:20 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

NTHELL is a cable setup so is a 24/7 connection via a network cable.
BT Broadband works similar to dialup to connect to the internet but works a lot faster than dialup.

I take she is on BT Broadband?
Is it just a router your using or a router modem?
If its a router\modem you need to go into the routers config and set up the connections settings.
If its just a router then u need to setup internet connection sharing on the host machine and client machines that want to connect to the net, Obviously that host will need to be on and connected to the net for other machines to access the net.

If you got the funds I would suggest a wireless router\modem and wireless cards in the machines. Its simple to setup.
Old 04 September 2005, 11:50 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I'm on BT Broadband And ended up buying a D-Link All in one ADSL MODEM/Wireless/4 Port router. Also bought 2 D-Link Wireless cards of the same brand. The only tricky bit I had was understanding the connection as the router is set-up to auto connect etc... And I needed to know the correct 'Encapsulation' setting which for a D-link and other brands is set to = 'PPPoA VC mux'. Once you get that set-up the rest is easy.