Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ram memory quick question

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2005, 10:43 AM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram memory quick question

Hi All

I have a packard bell tower only one year old, the ram/mb memory is only 192, whats the ideal ram to run broardband, at the mo I have broard band AOL silver but every so often it just keeps cutting off and then signs back on straight away, do I need to upgrade the ram ???

Cheers Russ
Old 28 August 2005, 12:37 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say its to do with the RAM to be honest , but it wouldnt hurt to get some more to make it faster, if youre on XP it would benefit from more RAM, as a guide id use 256 as a minimum but thats not much of a jump so id go for 512 meg. I don't think this will fix connection problem however, could be a bad line, modem playing up or just AOL having a dodgy spell, may be a problem with your PC, have you looked in device manager to see if there any conflicts

into control panel then system then device manager

Last edited by mike1210; 28 August 2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 29 August 2005, 11:47 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5RLP
Hi All

I have a packard bell tower only one year old, the ram/mb memory is only 192, whats the ideal ram to run broardband, at the mo I have broard band AOL silver but every so often it just keeps cutting off and then signs back on straight away, do I need to upgrade the ram ???

Cheers Russ
Would be worth wile contacting AOL. Unless BT are doing work on your exchange. More RAM would make for a better running PC but not a cause for a dropping Broadband.
Old 29 August 2005, 09:10 PM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Would be worth wile contacting AOL. Unless BT are doing work on your exchange. More RAM would make for a better running PC but not a cause for a dropping Broadband.
Cheers for the advice guys....

Russ
Old 29 August 2005, 09:26 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

512Mb of ram for XP is nice (as previously stated). If you to www.crucial.com (make sure you select UK) you will be able to buy a nicely priced upgrade.

DO NOT buy an upgrade from HP, they will charge you a fortune

A single stick of 512Mb ram is about £40, then you will also be able to leave in one of the sticks you currently have (the 128) leaving you with 640Mb of ram. This is a nice amount of memory for WinXP.

The connection issues are almost certainly not due to your memory

We did encounter a similar problem with our Broadband modem, and were told that you need to close your broadband connection before turning the computer off. Sounded like a total cop out, but it did actually work!!

If you can get your hands on a spare machine, do so, and see if the problems persist.

It is most likely that AOL are just dropping your connection because they are really busy, however they are VERY unlikely to admit this to you. From my experience they always suggest the problem is at your end until you have gone to the end of the earth trying to solve it, before they finally admit it was all their fault to start with!!

Let us know how you get on
Old 29 August 2005, 10:08 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

DO NOT buy an upgrade from HP, they will charge you a fortune
True, but he has a Packard Bell :P
Old 30 August 2005, 02:23 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts