Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Serial-ATA on PCI add-on card for older mobo?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 10:17 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serial-ATA on PCI add-on card for older mobo?

Hi there,

I am looking to upgrade the size of my hard disk and didn't really want to splash out on 'old IDE technology', but my current system doesn't have an Serial-ATA interface (Older shuttle with 2.5Ghz Barton).

Has anyone used S-ATA add-on cards like this before or know of any other alternatives?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48670
Seems fairly good from the reviews...

I was hoping this would save me getting frustrated when I next go to upgrade my system, and future proof my new drive purchase slightly (even though IDE interfaces are going to stick around for a while no doubt!). There doesn't seem to be that much of a premium on SATA disks.

cheers
Joolz
Old 28 July 2005, 03:28 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbryant
Hi there,

I am looking to upgrade the size of my hard disk and didn't really want to splash out on 'old IDE technology', but my current system doesn't have an Serial-ATA interface (Older shuttle with 2.5Ghz Barton).

Has anyone used S-ATA add-on cards like this before or know of any other alternatives?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48670
Seems fairly good from the reviews...

I was hoping this would save me getting frustrated when I next go to upgrade my system, and future proof my new drive purchase slightly (even though IDE interfaces are going to stick around for a while no doubt!). There doesn't seem to be that much of a premium on SATA disks.

cheers
Joolz
IMHO I would stick with what you for the time being. SATA is only any real benefit over IDE if you want to use RAID. With IDE you need a seperate controller. The speed difference is not that great!

Stick with the IDE and upgrade everything at a later date!
Old 28 July 2005, 08:58 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

You won't see any real benefit, especially if you are going through the PCI slot as thats where your bottleneck will be. And it will only run the same speed as a Standard IDE drive. Check out www.tomshardware.com as he has done a comparison on this sort of thing.