Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home PC rebuild time - definitive list of what to back up...

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 12:17 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just back up the Documents & Settings folder (not My Documents), and your game settings. Either burn it to a DVD or copy it to another hard drive or another PC on the network.
I shouldn't worry too much about the firewall, they're easy enough to configure from scratch (if you're using a software one like Zone Alarm)
Old 26 July 2005, 12:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its alot easier just to image the drive imo as youre rebuilding on the same machine. Of course you need a clean and slim image to begin with for restoring. Then all u need do is restore any data u kept on that partition. All settings, installed apps etc are contained with the image though, so it saves alot of time.
Old 26 July 2005, 01:40 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by **************
I am contemplating doing a basic OS + drivers + patches build and then taking an image of that just to avoid having to do it ever again. Thing is done this lots before and never used the images due to changes in hardware and OS etc between rebuilds lol so was total waste of time.
I do exactly this - An image file of C Drive containing OS, security SW & updates, and my fave programs all installed comes to about 3-4Gb. All programs set to save to drive D\My Docs\Settings\App...

I install all games on the D drive so don't need to mess with saving saves - My Docs and mail files are all on D. The only things loaded to C are apps. With this setup I can rebuild my PC from Ghost image in 10 minutes and load the rest in less than an hour (including any later software and new security patches, anti-virus defs, etc, I needed to install) and then create a new base image. If I want to reload a game or come back to it later I just hook out the saves and place in Mydocs\saves.

This setup also means if something goes horribly wrong I can throw in a boot disk and reformat the C drive knowing full well I won't lose anything.

About the only thing this doesn't take into account is IE bookmarks so I just batch copy those occasionally. Cookies and temp files and desktop stuff is all disposable IMO. Anything for keeps is saved immediately to D, and MyDocs archived regularly to DVD-RW.

Ahh yes video drivers don't generally get included in the build as these seem to change on a weekly basis

Joolz

Last edited by jbryant; 26 July 2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:34 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IE bookmarks can be kept on another drive (I store mine in D:\favourites) - use TweakUI to set the location. And OE allows you to store e-mails on another drive as well.

M