Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC & Sony P900 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2005, 04:52 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC & Sony P900 Problem

I have just rebuilt my PC and for some reason the PC cant see/recognise the P900 sat on a USB port. The correct Sony USB driver has been installed, the port is ok, no issues reported in device manager, have deinstalled and reinstalled the driver, etc.

Any ideas as to what the problem, and therefore solution is please?

This is doing my head in as I can't backup the phone!

Thanks

WB

PS Yes I have been onto Sony's website and done the things their knowledge base says, without resolving the problem. It's not a firewall issue either as I have switched that off in an effort to solve the problem, no joy!
Old 29 June 2005, 05:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

go into device manager and i bet there is a ? mark over one of the usb ports which will be your drivers. reinstall it from there and that should solve your problems, failing that just buy a blutooth dongle and sort your phone out that way. i bought a card reader as it was easier as i was having problems with the pc not recognising the phone
Old 29 June 2005, 07:03 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve but no "?" or "!" on anything. All USB ports/drivers are loaded up fine. Was the first thing I checked (just so I wouldn't look stupid when I posted )

Any other ideas anyone?
Old 30 June 2005, 12:03 AM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install the full software package that came with the phone and not just the driver. The phone suit one. I use my docking station at work, and had to do this to transfer boring crappy work related stuff to the memory card via usb. Its a free download from their site too, incase you've lost the disk.
Old 30 June 2005, 11:44 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

are the usb ports enabled in the BIOS??
Old 30 June 2005, 06:13 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Keith,

Already done that thanks (Ver 3.11). Bigsinky, will check on that suggestion later. Would be surprised though, given that device manager is not reporting anything wrong.

Will let you know.

WB
Old 30 June 2005, 11:39 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Bigsinky,

No probs with USB ports & bios. Any more thoughts anyone?
Old 01 July 2005, 09:07 AM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Bigsinky,

No probs with USB ports & bios. Any more thoughts anyone?
Load the SE software , rmb over the icon in the bottom left , and check the connection is on USb and not COM3.

I dont have my synch station in front of me , so you might havet o have a hunt around ....
Old 01 July 2005, 09:28 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Normally is a case of unistalling the drivers and software and starting again. Can be a bit funny like that I've found. Worth trying a different USB port as well for the freash installation.
Old 01 July 2005, 07:49 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Andy,

When I click on the icon you refer to the USB box is ticked, as the connection type, linked to Com 3. It shows that the device is connected! In device manager the SEMC DSS syncstation driver is definitely sat on USB. If I disconnect the syncstation from the USB port then the connection disappears from device manager, as you would expect. if I reconnect then device manager sees the syncstation as a USB device, which is correct.

Seems that somehow the Sony software then reports can't see the phone!

I will try deinstalling the software and reinstalling again (maybe 3rd time lucky). You guys just don't know how much this is pi$$ing me off!

Thanks for the help so far, grateful for any more ideas.

WB
Old 01 July 2005, 08:19 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Deinstalled both driver and link software, rebooted each time, reinstalled driver and made sure its the right one, reinstalled software, still no joy. Properties is reporting that there is a connection with USB but nothing sees the phone, not even explorer.

I can't think of anything else. Will give up in a minute unless I hear from you guys.
Old 01 July 2005, 08:58 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Deinstalled both driver and link software, rebooted each time, reinstalled driver and made sure its the right one, reinstalled software, still no joy. Properties is reporting that there is a connection with USB but nothing sees the phone, not even explorer.

I can't think of anything else. Will give up in a minute unless I hear from you guys.
My P910 suffers the same problem, I have reinstalled like yourself but still no go. I'm not too bothered as I mostly use it with the Mac over Bluetooth anyway and I can use IR on my ThinkPad. Nevertheless I will have a play over the weekend and see if I can persuade it to work again
Old 01 July 2005, 09:11 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I have just rebuilt my PC and for some reason the PC cant see/recognise the P900 sat on a USB port. The correct Sony USB driver has been installed, the port is ok, no issues reported in device manager, have deinstalled and reinstalled the driver, etc.

Any ideas as to what the problem, and therefore solution is please?

This is doing my head in as I can't backup the phone!

Thanks

WB

PS Yes I have been onto Sony's website and done the things their knowledge base says, without resolving the problem. It's not a firewall issue either as I have switched that off in an effort to solve the problem, no joy!
Which operating system have you re-installed with?

If XP, have you installed Service Pack 2? Or if not service packed installed the USB 2 patch from microsoft?
Old 01 July 2005, 10:35 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Jpor,

Yes its XP with SP2, upgraded with the latest patches. I rebuilt on Monday so I made damned sure I had all the latest patches on. As I say the confusing thing is that the system "sees" the cradle but not the phone. Frustrating.
Old 05 July 2005, 11:47 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Default Its Sorted! :D

Update - Problem now solved. The Sony support website came up trumps on this one big time! Basically gave me a load of options to walk through, most of which have already been covered in this post.

The key ones to remember are going into control panel on the phone, checking cable connection to see whether its set to modem or pc connect, choosing the opposite option, switching the phone off and then back on, then choosing PC connect.

Seemed to do the trick as it sort of kick started the phone into listening to the com port.

T'other trick is to go into Phone & Modems in XP's control panel and set Com port 3 (or whatever port the USB cradle aligns to) to disabled & not reserved, rather than enabled and reserved.

Oh by the way, don't forget the obvious - firewall & anti virus conflicts.

Hope this helps you guys out with similar problems you might be having, if not pm me as I probably won't look at this thread again.

Once again thanks for all the assistance given, much appreciated. You lot aren't so bad after all.

WB