Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2005, 02:17 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ipod question

I have set up Itunes on my home PC. I then connected my Wifes new IPOD to the pc and that all worked great. Now my question is can I connect MY ipod to the same PC ? so I can downlaod her library to my ipod ? Does that make sense?

Cheers Letdown.
Old 24 June 2005, 08:04 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

This assumes you have Win 2k or XP:

Create another seperate user account for yourself on your PC. Each iPod needs its own "iTunes Music Library" file (usually in the \Documents and Settings\username\My Music\iTunes folder) so it can maintain play counts, ratings etc.

Then move your current "iTunes Music" folder to a place where both user accounts have access to it (e.g. \Documents and Settings\All Users). Now create a shortcut to the new location and put it inside your own "iTunes" folder mentioned above. Rename the shortcut to "iTunes Music".

Each user now has access to the library and can add tracks. iTunes simply follows the shortcut from your user folder to the shared folder you created. Periodically, drag-and-drop the music folder onto the main iTunes Library window and iTunes will rescan the library and add new tracks. You need to do this as new music will only initially show up in the library of the user who imported it from CD or purchased it from iTMS etc.

Sounds complicated but it's quite logical when you get it all set up.

Alex
Old 24 June 2005, 08:28 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by class_A
This assumes you have Win 2k or XP:

Create another seperate user account for yourself on your PC. Each iPod needs its own "iTunes Music Library" file (usually in the \Documents and Settings\username\My Music\iTunes folder) so it can maintain play counts, ratings etc.

Then move your current "iTunes Music" folder to a place where both user accounts have access to it (e.g. \Documents and Settings\All Users). Now create a shortcut to the new location and put it inside your own "iTunes" folder mentioned above. Rename the shortcut to "iTunes Music".

Each user now has access to the library and can add tracks. iTunes simply follows the shortcut from your user folder to the shared folder you created. Periodically, drag-and-drop the music folder onto the main iTunes Library window and iTunes will rescan the library and add new tracks. You need to do this as new music will only initially show up in the library of the user who imported it from CD or purchased it from iTMS etc.

Sounds complicated but it's quite logical when you get it all set up.

Alex

No mate that makes perfect sense. Thanks