Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is my processor knackered?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2005, 05:19 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my processor knackered?

Ive got a laptop that’s about 2.5 years old and it’s got a Pentium 4 processor in it. It always has had a tendency to get quite hot but for the past 6 months it has started to shut its self down, well actually its more like it’s tripping out because it just cut’s off with no warning. It seems to be ok when just surfing the net and maybe having word open, but add something a little more stressful (e.g. burning a CD or transferring files over the network) and it’ll get super hot and if you leave it multitasking for say 10+ minuets it’ll shut down. I’m thinking it’s a foobared processor because the laptop has had a lot of use, probably 2-3 hours a day since it was brand new.
Old 12 June 2005, 07:30 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it is the CPU as they either work or they don't. More likely the cooling system is on the way out. If it's a fan, then the bearings are probably clogged. If it's purely passive then the thermal pad between cooler and CPU has probably dried out.

M
Old 12 June 2005, 07:45 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I can hear the fan and it doesn’t seem to be making any weird noises which would maybe suggest shot bearings. But ive just had the heat sink off and the thermal paste seems to be pretty much all dried out.
Old 12 June 2005, 07:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I think you are looking at ineffective cooling. Try and think back to when the problem started, if the machine is now quieter that would suggest a broken fan.

I don't really fiddle with laptops as all the bits tend to be proprietry, so you may need to ring up the manufacturer should you need a new bit. 2-3 years per day for 2-3 years is not a lot of use btw. This desktop machine is used about 18 hrs a day for 2 years, overclocked and often in risk of thermal death...still going strong
Old 12 June 2005, 10:30 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
I can hear the fan and it doesn’t seem to be making any weird noises which would maybe suggest shot bearings. But ive just had the heat sink off and the thermal paste seems to be pretty much all dried out.

Get some new paste - Arctic Silver is the best. Clean the surface of the CPU and cooler carefully - don't use anything metal. If you need a solvent, use isoproply (rubbing) alcohol - the stuff you get in cassette/video head claning kits. Apply a thing layer of paste to the CPU and refit cooler.

M
Old 13 June 2005, 01:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Yeah, I think you are looking at ineffective cooling. Try and think back to when the problem started, if the machine is now quieter that would suggest a broken fan.

I don't really fiddle with laptops as all the bits tend to be proprietry, so you may need to ring up the manufacturer should you need a new bit. 2-3 years per day for 2-3 years is not a lot of use btw. This desktop machine is used about 18 hrs a day for 2 years, overclocked and often in risk of thermal death...still going strong

Could be worth getting hold of some thermal monitoring software to check out your temps on both the CPU and Motherboard side of things (www.download.com is a good place to have a look). Also worth having a look at your BIOS and see if you have anything for heat monitoring/ fan failure. This may be well worth investigating.
Old 13 June 2005, 03:04 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Poped into Overclockers today and got me some of that Arctic Silver paste and it seems to have sorted it