Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Computer shuts down whilst scrolling down long threads

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2005, 10:17 PM
Ian D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer shuts down whilst scrolling down long threads

My desktop computer (HP Pentium 2 266 MHz, 64MB RAM, windows 98) has been fine for accessing the internet over the last 3 years but 3 weeks ago I went Broadband with Tiscali and since then I have 2 problems...

1) accessing any web page is very slow, slightly slower than pre-broadband, if I try and get onto (for example) www.bbc.co.uk it takes a couple of minutes to open the home page, it is the same for any web page (15 seconds to 2 minutes to open). I have carried out speedchecks on the connection and it is fine at 1MB, but the internet is still slow overall. I have defragmented the C drive, erased any non essential files etc and still no joy

2) even more annoying is I get dropped lines most times I select 'back' on the browser, and even more annoying again when I scroll down reading a long forum thread the computer clicks, blanks and shuts down and restarts (it is repeatable on the same long threads)

Any ideas please (help!!)
thanks
Old 22 May 2005, 11:43 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, use your old dial-up to see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't you can call Tiscali to sort out your connection problem. If you still get the same problem, check for spyware on your PC or a virus etc.

When you say you have erased non essential files I assume you have cleared your Temp Internet folder? If that gets really full you can experience problems. Do Tiscali have alternative proxies you can use? If you don't know that answser, peruse Google for Tiscali Proxy Servers or call them asking for a substitue proxy url that you can enter into your IE.

With the greatest respect, your PC is very slow and you would not necessarily see an improvement in surfing speeds just because you have obtained broadband. An upgrade would certainly bring you up to speed
Old 23 May 2005, 12:07 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian D
My desktop computer (HP Pentium 2 266 MHz, 64MB RAM, windows 98) has been fine for accessing the internet over the last 3 years but 3 weeks ago I went Broadband with Tiscali and since then I have 2 problems...

1) accessing any web page is very slow, slightly slower than pre-broadband, if I try and get onto (for example) www.bbc.co.uk it takes a couple of minutes to open the home page, it is the same for any web page (15 seconds to 2 minutes to open). I have carried out speedchecks on the connection and it is fine at 1MB, but the internet is still slow overall. I have defragmented the C drive, erased any non essential files etc and still no joy

2) even more annoying is I get dropped lines most times I select 'back' on the browser, and even more annoying again when I scroll down reading a long forum thread the computer clicks, blanks and shuts down and restarts (it is repeatable on the same long threads)

Any ideas please (help!!)
thanks
Ummm... I take it when you upgraded you got a new MODEM? The new MODEM being external and plugs into the USB port? Could be an issue with your USB port. The PC you have uses USB version 1 and this could be an incompatibality problem with your MODEM which may require versions 1.1 or even 2. Could be that the PC is rebooting because of the USB. Have you tried updating the PC by going to www.windowsupdate.com? Just incase there are updates you need. The only fix I can think of is a).. Get an Inernal PCI ADSL MODEM or b).. Get a USB Version 2 PCI card.

You may also may need to upgrade your graphics card drivers, as this may sort out the broken lines issue.

But try Soulgirls solutions first before spending money.

Last edited by jpor; 23 May 2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 23 May 2005, 06:15 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broadband has higher computer overheads than dial-up: is you machine actually above the minumum spec for broadband? I'd say that at the very least it needs another 64MB of RAM, and ideally it needs a new computer.

M
Old 23 May 2005, 08:53 PM
Ian D
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, yes I did delete the temp internet files and a new modem came with the package. Am currently back on my old dial up to see what happens...will report back but am also thinking a new computer may be required.....
thx
Ian
Old 24 May 2005, 04:26 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ram issue by the sound of it to me. Upgrade to at least 256 or 512mb, n it will probably be ok. Or spend £300-400 n get a new box, which will be so much faster than that thing ure using
Old 31 May 2005, 07:58 PM
Ian D
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the excellent info, bought another 256M of RAM from a supplier on ebay for £15 and problem solved!

Still getting regualar dropped line though......changed a few modem settings to allow for a noisier phone line but still droipping the line every few minutes when surfing...,

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2005, 09:42 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Tell you what, format and re-install. See how you get on after that.

If you've had the computer for 3+ years I make that 2+ years overdue for a fresh install.

Trust me.
Old 01 June 2005, 09:52 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Broadband has higher computer overheads than dial-up: is you machine actually above the minumum spec for broadband? I'd say that at the very least it needs another 64MB of RAM, and ideally it needs a new computer.

M
What rubbish is this?!
Old 01 June 2005, 09:53 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

youve got adware/malware/spyware thats all
Old 01 June 2005, 12:49 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by warrenm2
youve got adware/malware/spyware thats all
Yet another reason for a fresh install...

Before you start.. I KNOW that you can just remove the ad/mal/spyware but the pc will run like its brand new with a fresh install.