Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Netgear Router on NTL Cable modem

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 05:50 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Netgear Router on NTL Cable modem

Hiya o intelligent ones

I have a small problem that is driving me insane, I am trying to set up a Netgear router on my mates NTL cable broadband and not having much luck, have any of you done this before.

I have the LAN side setup and working but the WAN side will not communicate with NTLs servers and I get no WAN traffic either.

My mate just needs to plug in the USB cable into his laptop to get online, there is no login or passwd required, which seems bizarre to me.

I have a login and passwd from NTL which I used in the router config and I also have a subscriber number and a PIN number along with a seriel number.

I have tried going through and reinstalling the install CD on his laptop so I can see where these numbers are used but it keeps failing.

The router gives me the option of Broadband -No login or Broadband - login and passwd.

I have tried both but to no avail. I called NTL support and started talking to them about PPPOE and the guy lost the plot and told me NTL do not support routers, that may be so but I refuse to be beaten.

So if any one out there has already managed to get a wireless Netgear router setup on NTL cable broadband can you please tell me what I am not doing or what I have done that I didn't need to do.

Cheers

Steve
Old 14 May 2005, 06:24 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to either wait a day or so without anything using the modem or try a ip release on the usb side before hooking the router up. They do not use pppoe, its just a straight ethernet port.
Old 14 May 2005, 09:40 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar problem with my Netgear router (not wireless) on NTL and it drove me mad until one day it came to me, on the back of the router there is a restore factory settings button and when i pressed it and started the setup again it all worked fine, hope this is of some help.
Old 14 May 2005, 11:41 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Either get the router to clone the PC's MAC address, or (simpler solution) power off the cable modem (unplug the power cable) for about 30 seconds and it should be OK.
Old 15 May 2005, 12:14 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Awsome !!! cheers guys I now have it working.

Steve