Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless networks and DECT phones

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2005, 12:35 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless networks and DECT phones

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced interference between a wireless router and cordless DECT phones?

I have a Netgear WGR614 router/access point and 4 BT Diverse X10 phones which are registered to one base unit. At random intervals all the phones (except the one the rest are registered to) will flash up "out of range of base unit" for a second or two. This wouldn't be too bad if they didn't beep at the same time!

I'm fairly sure that the phones are OK as they are new and i have tried changing the registered base unit but get the same results. I didn't have this problem with the (basic Lidl model ) previous cordless handsets.

I've discovered that in theory the two systems are on different frequencies and shouldn't be a problem but i also live opposite Wiltshire Police HQ and the combined emergency services HQ. Could they be causing interference?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Roy
Old 09 May 2005, 03:25 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

On the netgears you can sometimes change what channel it uses, have you tried that?
Old 09 May 2005, 04:11 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rich good thinking,

I'll give that a bash and might try moving the router and modem into the loft/further away from the base units.

Roy.
Old 09 May 2005, 10:35 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

My handset in the office (where the wireless router is) loses connection to the base station occasionally - I did wonder if that was the problem like yourself.

Mines a Linksys Wireless G.

Beeping in the middle of the night is a pain in the a*ss.

None of the other handsets in the other rooms lose connection.

Cheers

Mark
Old 10 May 2005, 12:06 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

That's exactly the problem Mark (beep beepedy beep) and apparently i can't shut the bedroom door because the cat doesn't like it closed.

Tried changing channels and that doesn't seem to make any difference so thought about sticking a high gain antenna for the router in the loft away from the base unit but the bloody thing doesn't come off so might have to move the whole thing.