Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Has anyone got more than one cable modem?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2005, 05:09 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone got more than one cable modem?

Seem to be having trouble getting blueyonder to let us have 2 at one address, whether it be a new account or 2 on one account.

My dad wants to do online gaming but when i'm uploading graphics or mp3 mixes to my webspace it kills his upload.

We only have a cable phoneline so can't have ADSL without getting BT to install a line etc.
Old 08 May 2005, 07:17 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Seem to be having trouble getting blueyonder to let us have 2 at one address, whether it be a new account or 2 on one account.

My dad wants to do online gaming but when i'm uploading graphics or mp3 mixes to my webspace it kills his upload.

We only have a cable phoneline so can't have ADSL without getting BT to install a line etc.
Can't you just buy a router/wireless router and then the two of you can connect at any one time whether it be through a wired or wireless connection.I don't use cable personally but I think they will only allow you to have one mac address registered with them anyway??

Good luck
Old 08 May 2005, 07:18 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

There's usually only provision for one service drop per address. If you have a BT linebox from an old inactive BT line, there's usually little or no charge to get it reactivated but you'll be paying £10/month line rental plus your DSL ISP fees on top of that.

You could then look into a building a cheap Linux box to bond the two connections together giving increased overall throughput for your LAN.

This is probably a little overkill however, so why not look into a switch or router which allows you to specify some QoS (Quality of Service) rules for each port, then you could guarantee a certain availability of bandwidth for your dad whilst you upload on the "spare" capacity.
Old 08 May 2005, 07:19 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Can't you just buy a router/wireless router and then the two of you can connect at any one time whether it be through a wired or wireless connection.I don't use cable personally but I think they will only allow you to have one mac address registered with them anyway??

Good luck
I think his issue is total bandwidth rather than distribution between different computers.

I have the same problem in that if I want to play games online and someone else wants to download, even something as simple as a microsoft windows update it will absolutely kill the game playing experience.
Old 08 May 2005, 07:26 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Got it in one djuk.

I think as class_a says they will only allow 1 per house which is annoying, but my dad will just have to get bulldog ADSL or something. We don't have a BT line, and the wiring was ripped out years ago.

Would have just prefered to have 2 CMs as they are better than ADSL.
Old 08 May 2005, 08:47 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

You could get the neighbours to get broadband and run a wireless connection from their house.

Or lets say your house number is 26, well sign up for a new account with the address 26b. When the engineer comes explain the crack and I bet he will go ahead and install it anyway.

I don't know why they wont allow 2 connections at the one address. I know someone who has a 4mbit connection and they have cloned a modem and running a second 4mbit connection at the same address. So basically they are running an 8mbit connection split across 2 modems
Old 08 May 2005, 09:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I still don't see why you don't to shape your bandwidth? If your Dad is playing games, you could give him 10kb/s (or whatever) leaving you with the remainder to upload.

I do this so that when I'm running Bit Torrent on another machine so it doesn't grab the whole download/upload bandwidth.

Steve.
Old 08 May 2005, 10:08 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I used to do that Steve but apparently the ping was still not good enough.

Val113R: that b is a good idea!
Old 08 May 2005, 10:48 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
I used to do that Steve but apparently the ping was still not good enough.

Val113R: that b is a good idea!
I know a shop who didnt want to pay business prices with telewest so they phoned up to get a home install. When the engineer turned up they told them that they were getting the basement coverted into a flat. So the engineers went ahead and installed the broad band no questions asked ;-)
Old 14 May 2005, 01:19 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Isn't it about time your Dad got a place of his own?
Old 14 May 2005, 06:05 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Isn't it about time your Dad got a place of his own?
ROFL Yeah been waiting for the olds to move out for ages