Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to access Itunes in the living room?

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2005, 10:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to access Itunes in the living room?

Just spent 3 days putting all the CDs on the PC with Itunes........now the PC is in the home office and has some nice little speakers and a sub so sounds cool................but how to get the sounds into the living room?

the wirless router is in there by the TV so can i use that?

is the best bet to use a cheap laptop to wirlessly access the main PC and play via some PC speakers with a sub in the living room?

could i plug the laptop into the main amp that runs the dvds?

i tried a thing that plugs into the router and scarts into the TV but it allows pretty rubbish access to the music files......really i want i tunes on the TV!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sharing the Library on the PC and then having a lappy in the living room, and having that hooked up to the TV might be a way to go.

The only other thing I can think of is AirTunes
Old 02 May 2005, 10:23 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The Netgear Wireless Digital Music

Liberate Your Digital Music and Listen Anywhere at Home

Finally, you can enjoy your digital music files and unlimited, worldwide Internet radio, together with your friends and family, in any room of your home. NETGEAR's Wireless Digital Music Player connects your existing home stereo to your home computer network so you can listen to your MP3 and Windows Media® format digital music files - with the great sound quality of your stereo speakers - wherever you like to relax and entertain. You can also listen to thousands of streaming Internet radio stations for music, sports and news from around the world. The Wireless Digital Music Player is compatible with your 802.11b or 802.11g wireless network, and it's very simple to set up and use. Easy-to-install software automatically finds all your music files by title, artist, album, genre or playlist on any networked PC. It then collects them into one complete database so you don't have to do the work. Sit back and put your feet up - remote control and a crystal clear, four-line display let you select music without even getting out of your chair. If you like, you can expand your music collection to over 400,000 songs by subscribing to RHAPSODY™ Digital Music Service.

£74 inc vat from www.aria.co.uk
Old 02 May 2005, 11:06 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, AirTunes would get my vote these days but . . . Slim Devices Squezebox or similar is a very good alternative.

Nice thing about the Airport Express is that it outputs optical, has USB for a printer and a Ethernet port to allow use as a bridge for XBox, although check this out if it figures in your plans. Oh yeah and depending on how it is configured it can extend the WiFi envelope !

rich

Originally Posted by lightning101

The Netgear Wireless Digital Music

Liberate Your Digital Music and Listen Anywhere at Home

Finally, you can enjoy your digital music files and unlimited, worldwide Internet radio, together with your friends and family, in any room of your home. NETGEAR's Wireless Digital Music Player connects your existing home stereo to your home computer network so you can listen to your MP3 and Windows Media® format digital music files - with the great sound quality of your stereo speakers - wherever you like to relax and entertain. You can also listen to thousands of streaming Internet radio stations for music, sports and news from around the world. The Wireless Digital Music Player is compatible with your 802.11b or 802.11g wireless network, and it's very simple to set up and use. Easy-to-install software automatically finds all your music files by title, artist, album, genre or playlist on any networked PC. It then collects them into one complete database so you don't have to do the work. Sit back and put your feet up - remote control and a crystal clear, four-line display let you select music without even getting out of your chair. If you like, you can expand your music collection to over 400,000 songs by subscribing to RHAPSODY™ Digital Music Service.

£74 inc vat from www.aria.co.uk
Old 03 May 2005, 08:37 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Chipped Xbox running XBMC is my method. The drawback with AirPort Express/AirTunes is a lack of remote control.
Old 03 May 2005, 08:57 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

If you've got an IPod, plug it into your stereo (we've got a couple of long decent hi-fi wires always ready to plug it into). If you haven't, get one.....

I used to mess about with wired networks and the like - takes as long to go and turn the PC on etc than to just plug the Ipod in.

Gordo
Old 03 May 2005, 09:35 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

xbox for me too.

it'll knock the socks off all those squezebox things

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2005, 02:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

so if i have an xbox already (in the loft...never use it!) is that the best way? i had been thinking of getting a laptop plugged into the amp and access the music on the main PC via itunes on the lappy (wirless network between the two)

that way i get the playlist/search features of itunes............will an xbox even get close to that level of control over my music files?
Old 03 May 2005, 02:29 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

XBMC can access your iTunes Playlists and Library if you turn on the "Music Sharing" feature. The alternative if you don't want to run iTunes all the time is just to share your music folder but then you don't get the playlists.

Searching doesn't really exist, you are just presented with an hierarchical list of Artist->Albums->Tracks.
Old 03 May 2005, 02:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

so the xbox will play my itunes playlist that i set up on the pc in advance?

that sounds fine........wheres the best place to find out how to set it up?

and can i take audio from the xbox into my amp?
Old 03 May 2005, 03:00 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Audio can just be taken from the RCA connections on the Xbox scart.

you just need someone to chip the xbox and install Xbox media centre. It may sound like a hassle but once chipped the xbox is by far the best gadget I've ever bought
Old 03 May 2005, 03:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

so onced chiped it will plug in my router..access the pc and i will be able to view the itunes files and playlists and playout through the amp?

is that right? sounds perfect!

what else can it do? and who chips it? not microsoft i assume!
Old 03 May 2005, 03:11 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just thinking...doesnt the xbox have an optical output that i coluld plug in the amp...the DVD uses that right now but could i play DVDs on the xbox instead?
Old 03 May 2005, 04:17 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
so onced chiped it will plug in my router..access the pc and i will be able to view the itunes files and playlists and playout through the amp?
Basically, yes. Plus you get access to internet radio and any files you have stored on your PC, for example videos and photos.

Xbox doesn't have optical out by default, you need a new AV lead with the socket on it. For chips, DJ Dunk would be your man. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM. I got mine done a couple of years ago so haven't kept up with developments since.
Old 04 May 2005, 01:36 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ok...spoke with some chip sellers and it sseems it works as descibed!

couple of questions...they suggested upgrading the size of the HD in the box.....if i stream my MP3's from the PC do i need to worry about the Xbox HD size?

and will it play itune downloaded songs from Apple? i assume they are an odd format as they work on the pc but not on my mp3 player? (its not an ipod)
Old 04 May 2005, 02:30 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

As you are just streaming files from the PC, the HD of the Xbox does not need to be changed. HD upgrades only come into play when you want to backup games and play them from the Xbox HD or if you want to store media on the Xbox.

Files from the iTunes Music Store (iTMS) are encrypted and will only play on Apple authorised devices. I use a program called JHymn to strip the DRM protection, leaving me with a plain AAC file which XBMC will happily play. The alternative is to burn your purchased music as an audio CD, then re-rip the tracks into the format of your choice.

Hope this helps,
Alex
Old 04 May 2005, 02:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cool...so i just let a few tunes build up in the "purchased music" list then burn to disc and burn back again?
Old 04 May 2005, 03:14 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just thinking......is there any benifit in streaming the MP3's? wouldnt it be faster to down load the files to a big HD on the box........if i did that could i just download the same folder again every so often to add any new songs i had added to the pc? or wold that just double them all up? ie. would i need to transfer the mp3's individually?
Old 06 May 2005, 07:54 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
just thinking......is there any benifit in streaming the MP3's? wouldnt it be faster to down load the files to a big HD on the box........if i did that could i just download the same folder again every so often to add any new songs i had added to the pc? or wold that just double them all up? ie. would i need to transfer the mp3's individually?
Faster than what? The Xbox just plays the tunes from your PC HDD, it doesn't need to copy them across before playing