Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

broadband router

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2005, 05:57 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broadband router

ok so ive got a speedtouch adsl modem connected to my computer via usb using btinternet broadband.

i want to hook up another computer, and understand i need a router.

whats the cheapest way to get this working? can anyone link me to a product at somewhere like ebuyer that will just plug and play, preferably via usb?

do i need to buy a router that allows USB connection to the computer? or will i need ethernet cards etc? do i need a different modem, or will the one ive got do?

any help appreciated
Old 01 May 2005, 02:09 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Best to ditch the Alcatel/Thomson modem (if you want to go down the router route) and look for a DSL Router, this is a combined device (DSL modem and router) available as either a wireless or a wired type. You will only need a router if you wish to connect more than one further PC, a pair of network cards and a 'crossover' patch cable will suffice if you just want to connect the two machines. WinXP internet connection sharing will do the rest, the machine to whic the DSL modem is connected will have to remain on in order to act as a gateway using this method though. Finally, be aware that its very very rare to find a router, either wired or wireless that will have a USB connection; this is why there are so many with returned lables on them in PC world. People buy without asking.....

Simon
Old 01 May 2005, 09:06 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I had one of those free Alcatel modems and ditched it for a Netgear DG834G so I could do exactly what you want to do. You'll need a network (NIC) card in each PC which you connect via wires from the router. You can get them for about £3 from e-buyer. The Netgear is so very simple to set up and I have not regretted it one little bit. I'm running PC and 2 PS2's via wire and another PC upstairs via wireless all at the same time.

I got my router from BT.com shop as they were doing free wireless unit, delivery in the price. Do some searching and see what you can find. I had it all up and running in less than 30 minutes it was that simple. It isn't anywhere as difficult to get going as it might seem.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyMoody; 01 May 2005 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01 May 2005, 09:10 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

http://www.shop.bt.com/bin/venda?ex=...x=5&submit.y=8