Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Half life 2........steam

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 12:58 PM
crush her
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half life 2........steam

How on earth do I go into offline mode, the instructions aren't entirely clear and it's rocking away 1GB download limit. The only way I can do it is to pull the socket from the wall....pants
Old 07 April 2005, 02:23 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

imagine how i felt on a 56k dialup

once its downloaded & installed all the steam files you can select to start in offline mode, i think you have to log in first time round. close steam then click on your HL2 icon, it will check your steam account & work offline. It was something like that, after many frustrating hours spread over 2 days...
Old 07 April 2005, 02:24 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Depends which version of the steam client you have.

Start in on-line mode, login.

close steam

Disconnect from www

Start steam - off-line mode

reconnect to www.
Old 07 April 2005, 02:44 PM
crush her
Scooby Regular

Is the game actually any good then? I was ready to eject it from my window. To be honest the 5 minutes that I did play were not encouraging, the sound kept stuttering and so did the on screen scrolling, this was on a pentium 4 3ghz 1024mb and 128mb graphics card.
Old 07 April 2005, 03:39 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Was silky smooth at 1600x1200 on my pc (2.5ghz P4 with 1024Mb ram and a 256mb ati X800XT PE).

I enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't say it was worth all the hype. Very pretty to look at, but didn't have the suspense / make you jump moments of the original game, and I finished it quite easily. I though the end of game showdown was a huge letdown...
Old 07 April 2005, 03:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I thought the game was quite short.........until I *thought* about how much I'd actually done!!!

I really enjoyed it, although I was expecting a little bit more of the first one. Now if they'd have included some of the ambience from Doom3............

Dan
Old 07 April 2005, 04:41 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very pretty to look at, I too suffered with sound st-st-stuttering (not just on the G-man bits! ) and the level loads just took the pi$$! That said, that weapon you have at the end of the game was just so much fun It did feel a lot shorter than HL but I think I agree, it just passed by very quickly.

I was a little bit disappointed, Counterstrike Source more than made up for any disappointment though
Old 07 April 2005, 05:55 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Does anybody still play source or CS 1.6. If so what servers do you play on and why did we never get a game against the FTO lads going.
Old 07 April 2005, 09:44 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

If your interested in Steam based games then Please take a look at www.gorlangamers.co.uk we have our own servers and a rather friendly community of over 30 members, we have Lan Parties every few months so we can all get to gether and drink some beers.

The best way to force steam into offline mode is to just disconnect your Internet connection, or you can tell all you steam games not to auto update, open the games list, right click the game names, properties, always keep this game upto date, change it so it dosn't then it wont eat your Bandwidth.
Old 07 April 2005, 10:10 PM
stormmy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
Does anybody still play source or CS 1.6. If so what servers do you play on and why did we never get a game against the FTO lads going.
CS:Source is fantastic, DoD:Source will be better. :-)
Old 07 April 2005, 10:59 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stormmy
CS:Source is fantastic, DoD:Source will be better. :-)
I used to play DOD when it 1st came out. It was a great game but they changed it adding more features which I didn’t like. Still a good game but not a patch on CS or TFC.

There was another really good half-life mod called Firearms, but they did the same to that spoiling a really good game. Made it to complicated and it looks crap now.

I mainly play CZ (updated version of CS1.6 with updated models and sounds). I’m currently in a clan that plays in the ED league and we are currently recruiting new players if there are any CZ players on Scoobynet, that may be interested send, me a PM
Old 07 April 2005, 11:13 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4eX
If your interested in Steam based games then Please take a look at www.gorlangamers.co.uk we have our own servers and a rather friendly community of over 30 members, we have Lan Parties every few months so we can all get to gether and drink some beers.

The best way to force steam into offline mode is to just disconnect your Internet connection, or you can tell all you steam games not to auto update, open the games list, right click the game names, properties, always keep this game upto date, change it so it dosn't then it wont eat your Bandwidth.
After i read this thread and made last post, i was talking to the lad in my clan who arranges matches. We have challenged [GLG] in the enemy down CZ ladder. Challenged you a couple of times in the past but you have refused, why ?? lol we aint that good.
Old 08 April 2005, 09:00 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
I think fitzscooby going 20:1 in the last friendly caused many people to have a reality check!