Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cancelling/transferring broadband - consumer

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 10:37 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cancelling/transferring broadband - consumer

Hi, not sure where this should be as it's not a technical question (so not CR) rather a consumer one.

Basically I'm 2/3 months into my Wanadoo 1Mbps contract.

Moving in with G/F who has Tiscali running at 2.3Mbps at the mo (a 1Mbps contract apparently).

I believe I'm liable for the remaining amount of my contract, but what are my options? Can I cancel without paying? Can I transfer my connection to G/F's flat (i.e. 2 broadbean contracts from same telephone line). Or can she cancel and not be liable?

What's the best (cheapest) way forward?
Old 07 April 2005, 10:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Have you tried calling Wanadoo / Tiscalli to see what they say?
Old 07 April 2005, 10:41 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Planning to at the weekend. Just wanted to know the lay of the land if anyone knew what my 'rights' were before they fob me off with b/s. Consumer power and all that
Old 07 April 2005, 10:43 AM
celticpilgrim
Scooby Regular

we had trouble with wanadoo, when we tried to swap our b/band service from our main land line (which is downstairs) to Mrs. Pilgrim's Business line (which is upstairs).

wanadoo said thay couldn't just 'swap' the numbers over, but the'd have to close down on, and open up the other seperately, which would take about 10 days!! In the end, we just left things as they were.

IMHO, wanadoo's 'product' ie, the b/b service is pretty good. Their customer service on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired, bordering on the incompetent.

The'd probably try and sting you for the rest of the money - robbin' swine!!!
Old 07 April 2005, 11:13 AM
ChrisB

You can't have two ADSL services on the same line, so you'll need to cancel one.

However, if you wanted to transfer your ADSL to your girlfriends house, she'd need to cease her service first. That could take 30 days (or more).

If you're on a 12 month contract with Wanadoo, you'll need to check the T&Cs. I would suspect they'd want paying for all 12 months if you try to cancel.
Old 07 April 2005, 11:20 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Hmm, that's what I suspected. She's on a 12 monthly one too. Will contact both of them to find out what they can (or can't) do for us. Do either offer any other 'products' that we could transfer to (e.g cable tv or suchlike)? I'm thinking of the tiscali one rather than the wanadoo.
Old 07 April 2005, 11:40 AM
ChrisB

AFAIK, neither offer anything other than 'Net connectivity.

Might come down to which is cheaper to cancel.

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 11:53 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

More likely my wanadoo as I'm further into it os less months being cancelled. However, it's £2 more a month although running at 1.1Mbps whereas the tiscali is at 2.3Mbps (although it's a 1Mbps service! same thing for a mate also on tiscali!)
Old 07 April 2005, 12:52 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Perhaps try this route? You are moving to a property where the Wanadoo service cannot be provided so the contract should terminate.

"2.7 In the event that you move from the Premises, and you wish to continue to receive the Service, we shall terminate your Service and (provided that you can receive the Service from your new premises) you will be required to register again for the Service and commit to the remaining term of the Minimum Period. In addition, we reserve the right to make a charge for administration and set-up costs for the Service for the Premises move"
Old 07 April 2005, 01:37 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Hmm, that's given me an idea. My parents don't have broadand yet. I could 'move' back home (which is in the sticks so may get off that way anyway) and take the wanadoo with me and set it up on their computers. They can then pay me the monthly charge and then cancel/carry on when the 12 months are up. What are the flaws?
Old 07 April 2005, 02:54 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Hmm, that's given me an idea. My parents don't have broadand yet. I could 'move' back home (which is in the sticks so may get off that way anyway) and take the wanadoo with me and set it up on their computers. They can then pay me the monthly charge and then cancel/carry on when the 12 months are up. What are the flaws?
BT may not accept an order to provision broadband where the name of the bill payer and the broadband subscriber differ? Wanadoo should be able to get round this though, I know my ISP allows different "installation" and "billing" details but then again my ISP only requires 30 day termination notice too
Old 07 April 2005, 04:24 PM
ChrisB

I've got loads of sites with different billing and installation addresses.
Old 07 April 2005, 07:09 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Well, when it happens, I'll just say I'm moving back with parents who don't have BB and have it set up there. If they say yes then great, if they say no then I guess I know who I won't be recommending to my parents as their ISP