Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SCO Openserver

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2005, 05:18 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCO Openserver

Guys,

Any of you know much about the above mentioned product?

Basically I need to know about multi processor support, it seems like you need to buy a product called SMP for multiprocessor support.

Now if this is the case, then do all applications automatically get use of the multiple processors?

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 18 March 2005, 05:28 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The O/S will decided which processor the application will run on.
So in answer to your question, yes, they should in theory.

Unless of course the applications automatically bind themselves to a specific processor, but you should be able to control that in their configuration.

It is worth googling for 'SCO Openserver SMP' as it brings up quite a few links, some of them seem to be SMP bugs.
Old 18 March 2005, 06:04 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ta,

Got some details back from SCO Tech support also, although not from the correct person hence the "Dont have all the answers.........".

"I don’t have all the answers but I hope this helps.

You’ll need an SMP license for the extra CPU, but I’m not sure about the additional package.

Once installed all applications that spawn multiple processes should be able to take advantage of the extra CPU as the O/S will balance the load across the two CPU’s. In unix land this would mean that almost any application would see some sort of benefit, but it’s hard to say without knowledge of the application.

It would be fairly safe to say that a database serving ODBC queries would almost certainly load balance quite nicely across 2 CPU’s"

Shaun