Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

EDGE Review-GT4 ONLY 7/10.

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 10:04 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb EDGE Review-GT4 ONLY 7/10.

Anybody else read it? I actually took a sharp intake of breath when I read it After reading the full article though I was left a little confused as to some of the criticisms, eg no crash damage, poor AI. It's always been this way. To include crash physics for each car the way it simulates the driving experience of each car is,well, not possible. It's a simulator so ignores the crashing side of things The AI mmm maybe thats a point.
7 out of 10 though. B- Could do better
Shocked.

Last edited by andrewdelvard; 23 February 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 23 February 2005, 10:16 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I read it too - I wasn't expecting it to get 9 or 10, thought 8 would have been about right.

The game's have always had their knockers, and from the impression I got of the review it seemed like 1 was writing it. I think he's concentrated on what's missing - mainly the online stuff.

I've never been too bothered about crash damage, although some sort of mechanical failure in endurance races would have added an extra touch of strategy into it (you can decide what to repair in the pits etc). Not sure about the dodgy AI - I've not had a problem with it personally - prefer it to that in PGR2 which seems like stock car racing at times.

They also said that the 'ring was a lot more claustrophobic and not as good as PGR2, although from reading the threads on here from those who have the Jap import, they said it was better and "something special".

Basically I think the review was written by an XBox "yes" man, who was determined to hate whatever...
Old 23 February 2005, 06:39 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Edge has a reputation for being one of the more balanced Games mags, if a wee bit prone to disappearing up its own bumhole.

7/10 means its good, but although I love the GT series I do think things have moved on. Adding more and more cars to turn it into GT Pokemon isn't really going to cut it. Missing online play is a huge lost opportunity, if not in player numbers then in the quality of the experience.

It's a shame, if the review's accurate.
Old 24 February 2005, 08:56 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Edge like to praise games for pushing the boundaries and being a bit different. Many people (myself included) aren't too bothered about crash damage, but many people have been screaming out for this since the first version on the PS1, which leaves people thinking why hasn't it been done (I think it will be in the next version of the next gen PS and the reasons andrew devlard mentioned earlier). The AI is project gotham 2 is good but sometimes annoying as the computer has a nasty habbit of ramming you off the track on the last corner of a race that you were winning up until then, soooooo annoying.
Old 24 February 2005, 12:33 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

According to Sony and PD. Damage hasn`t been included because some of the car manufacturers didn`t want to see their cars damaged, and seem more unreliable than then others. Also if he wanted to impliment damage he would want to do it properly, so if you made a mistake and slid into a wall at 100mph backwards that would be the end of your race. But light at the end of the tunnel, damage looks like it has been confirmed for GT5 on the PS3. as the last manufacturer has finally given in.

I agree on the AI it definatly needs improving, just to make the racing seem a bit better, I got frustrated in GT3 when pulling the perfect inside move from way back , just to have the other car run right into the back of you and punt you off.

Edge has been giving progressively lower score on each GT game since they came out for various reasons. The big one being it is to similar to the last, in concept execution ( race, tune , race , tune etc.. ), and tracks, with a few new tracks added with each incarnation of the game.