Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Connecting ibook to PC networked printer

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 07:21 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting ibook to PC networked printer

Now people can probably tell by the amount of mac queries springing up from my direction over the last couple of days that we have just acquired our first mac and its tough going

We currently have a printer connected to a desktop computer (192.168.1.199) and all the 'PC' based laptops seem to connect to the shared printer just fine.

The iBook seems to have other ideas however. I have set up the printer for IP printing and put in the ip address etc but it just says the IP is busy

Can anybody suggest where I might be going wrong?

Cheers

David
Old 21 February 2005, 07:54 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

What have you set the Mac's IP address as? It will probably need to have an address of 192.168.1.xxx set before it will see the printer.

Don't know how to do this next bit on a Mac but if it was a PC I'd open a Command Prompt or go to Run and type ping 192.168.1.199. I'd then be looking for a message like "Reply received from 192.168.1.199". That would indicate that at the network level the Mac can talk to the printer. In that case, the problem wouldn't be with the network connection.
Old 21 February 2005, 08:05 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

For SMB Shared Printers
----------------------------
If your using the Printer Setup Utility) and your shared windows printer isn't appearing when choosing "add", hold down the "option" key and click "add". Then select advanced, you'll then be able to define the windows network settings manually.
On the Mac, in Printer Setup, add a printer (Applications -> Utilities -> Printer Setup Utility
Choose Advanced, then Windows Printer via SAMBA
Type your Device name
Type your Device URI, including passwords if needed e.g
smb://user:pass@mydomain/myprintserver/HP
Choose the appropriate printer. If your printer is not Postscript enabled, use one of the GIMP print drivers.

Print Services for UNIX (LPR/LPD)
--------------------------------------
Turn on Print Services for UNIX on the Windows box
On the Mac, in Printer Setup, add a printer
Choose IP printing, and LPD/LPR
Type your Windows server name in Printer Address
Type your Windows shared printer name in Queue Name
Choose the appropriate printer. If your printer is not Postscript enabled, use one of the GIMP print drivers. Go to their site to look up which driver is appropriate. You might want to try different drivers here if yours is not one of the officially supported ones.

If your having problems browsing windows shares (files or printers) see the following Apple Info Doc: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151425

Hope that works, if your new to the Mac world, http://www.macosxhints.com is a great source of information.

Michael