Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

transfering from one mac h/d to another

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 05:21 PM
vanman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfering from one mac h/d to another

Hi
I have an ibook with an intermitent fault that causes it to lock up?I need to get my iphoto library from the ibook onto my imac,dont know where to start though?I tried putting them on cdr but my imac just thinks it's a blank disc.Can anyone help?I really need the photos before i bin the ibook
Colin
Old 02 February 2005, 05:31 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

could probably use firewire cable to connect the 2, start up ibook holding down the t key, then the ibook should show up as an external harddrive on the imac. or use ethernet.
Old 02 February 2005, 08:14 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

As Krazy said, Target Disk Mode (hold T on startup) or File Sharing via Ethernet (you may need a crossover cable if your Macs aren't too recent) or CarbonCopyCloner

Incidentally, depending on the exact fault, your iBook may qualify for the iBook Logic Board Repair Program even if it is outside warranty/AppleCare.

If you do "bin it" you could probably get a fair few £'s on eBay if you sell the parts like the TFT, HDD, RAM, modem, optical drive, keyboard etc.
Old 02 February 2005, 10:35 PM
vanman
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, depending on the exact fault, your iBook may qualify for the iBook Logic Board Repair Program even if it is outside warranty/AppleCare.

Thanks for that.Checked the link and mine has the same fault as described and the serial number is covered,I'll give em a ring tomorrow
Colin
Old 03 February 2005, 12:07 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

pick up a wee USB memory stick (512MB one or so) and just copy it off onto that...we use them at work and it plugs in to OSX/OS9, Win98 (with driver) and XP no probs....very handy