Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DTi home computing initiative

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 08:40 AM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTi home computing initiative

Any ones Company took up this initiative from the Dept of Trade & Industry? It allows employees to own a computer, paying over 3 years, VAT free.

Some benefits for the Company too.

Seems that the Co. can sell off the computer to the employee at the end of the 3 yrs for a nominal sum (£10 ?).

Any one have any thoughts or experiences?
Old 14 January 2005, 09:36 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Why would you want a non-upgradeable 3 year old machine though, most people on here that play the latest computer games or do any photoshop /3d / cad work require an upgrade every year.

So say you bought the latest PC at £1000 Vat free with everthing, it is warranted by the company for the three years, so you are not allowed to upgrade it without warranty invalidation.

Your processors 3 years ago were 1.1 ghz athlon thunderbirds, and graphics cards were 32mb rage 3d and 64mb rage 3d etc.
Old 14 January 2005, 09:58 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

About due for a new PC, but not sure I'll be with same employer in 3 years time...
Old 14 January 2005, 10:08 AM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

101 - not sure if everyone requires the latest all-singing, all-dancing computer after 3 years.

Cost saving can be as high as 56% depending on your tax rate so there are some big savings to be made.

It does look a good scheme to me.
Even if you do leave Co. you can just pay balance owing.
Old 14 January 2005, 04:08 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Molbyman, royal mail have been running this scheme for 2 years now, with great success. The first year was with fujitsu siemens pc's, you had a choice of a laptop, medium spec desktop or high spec desktop. For extra, you could also get an all in one printer/scanner/photocopier too.
This year they've used dell. Same set-up, same choice.
I got the wife the laptop, as she has a lot of course work for nursing to do, and kept nicking my pc to do it!
Now she plonks herself down infront of the telly, and can surf via the wireless network I installed when she got it.
I was tempted this year to add a dell medium range, but actually got a basic pc for my daughter for £399 off the dell website. She's only 10, so doesn't really do unreal 3, doom 3 or halflife 2!

I don't even notice the money going out of my wages now, and in another 2 years the wife will be able to do what she likes with the laptop.
Last year, we took it on holiday with us too, which was cool, as I could download and edit my photos, the kids could play some games, and we had a jukebox of our fave music with us too

chris.