Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dumb questions about PDAs

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 08:31 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dumb questions about PDAs

Looks like I've opened a can of worms by deciding to get sat nav for the car. I figure it makes sense to get one that I can use for as much other stuff as possible too, but the choice out there is bewildering and as I've never used one before, it's over to you guys...

- I see that I have a choice of CPU type as well as speed, memory, display and interfaces. Does the CPU I choose limit my choice of applications, or are they all software compatible at the end of the day?

- Lots of them claim to have 802.11b and MP3 playback capability. Does that mean I can use them to play back streaming internet radio? Who makes the software? Is it built in?

- What's the current thinking on the spec I should go for in terms of CPU speed and memory? Are they all realistically 'fast enough', or is it worth paying a bit extra for a better spec?

- (really dumb question): for those of you who actually have a PDA and use it on a daily basis, what do you actually use it for? I figure there's no point having a gadget that can theoretically do hundreds of things if they're all useless in practise. If none of the other capabilities actually interest me, I may as well just get the cheapest one that'll do the sat nav stuff.

Cheers
Andy
Old 14 January 2005, 10:58 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

I have an O2 XDA ii. Its a PDA with an embedded phone, so only one gadget to carry round.

I use it for:
- phoning...
- diary / reminders
- phone book
- note pad

- with cabled GPS receiver and Tom Tom, a portable sat nav system, whilst using bluetooth headset

- with wi-fi SD card, I use it for a bit of surfing and to check emails at home/office/unsecured locations, without needing to switch on my normal pc or to incurr call costs dialing up to retreive messages

- excel for basic expenses

I can also use it as an mp3 player depending on what SD storage card I use. I have one for TomTom maps, one for music and an SD wifi card.

Andrew
Old 14 January 2005, 11:21 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

& get your corporate emails via Blackberry as well

& a camera for basic pics

& Mobile Vape Sabre (tm)

Old 14 January 2005, 11:54 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I've got a T-Mobile MDA II which is the same as an XDA 1 (supply them too ) and its great because it replaced my 6310 and my palm pilot. I basically keep all my tasks and appointments on it o and play games too! If I had to buy one would I? Hmmm difficult to say I loved the 6310 but having to carry two separate things around was a pain.

Yes most of the current crop are fast enough for what you need, they all run pocket pc which obviously integrates nicely with outlook, can get emails remotely or surf the web using GPRS, has a SD slot so I could buy a 11b wireless card for it if needed. The XDA 2 and MDA 3 have wireless built in with a fiddly little slide out keyboard.

Yes you can play MP3s and I even run MAME so I can play all the old arcade games on it too!

Gary
Old 14 January 2005, 11:55 AM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean. I have a Nokia 6230 that does phone, camera, MP3, POP3 emails, and syncs my Outlook contacts and calender. I have a Blackberry that does my work email, calender, contact, and is also a phone and web browser. I have a WiFi laptop for general browsing at home.

I also have a Dell Axim X3 WiFi but I can't think of anything to use it for! I do want SatNav so it's a question of either going for TTN3 for the X3 of paying extra for the dedicated TT Go.

Quick question for people using SatNav PDAs... Is the built in speaker good enough for spoken directions when on the move, or does it need applifying? I've heard the TT Go is very good in this regard.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 14 January 2005, 11:58 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Steve,

What is all the fuss with blackberry? I can get access to work emails via my MDA using GPRS to connect to my POP3 email accounts what else does blackberry offer?

Gary
Old 14 January 2005, 12:17 PM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

Blackberry gives you realtime access to corporate (e.g. MS Exchange) email accounts. There is no need to dial-in, they just get delivered straight to the handheld as soon as they hit your inbox. They also sync with your Calender so if anyone books a meeting for you back in the office you can see it straight away.

We have over 100 laptop users at work, and many of them only use it to dial in and access their emails when out of the office. By giving out Blackberry's we are saving money on the laptops and also on IT support for remote access issues. We introduced them last autumn and now have over 70 in use; everyone who sees them wants one.

I guess if you use POP3 for your work email there may not be as many benifits, but if you use Exchange then they're invaluable. They've still got a way to go with the user interface, but I couldn't be without it now.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 14 January 2005, 01:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Blackberry is awesome - send me an email & I get it virtually as soon as you press send

It's an always-on GPRS connection that uses "push" to throw emails at you as soon as you get them, as opposed to "pull" when you have to dial up and request your emails from your server.

To be fair, the XDA2 BB ROM needs some work, but BES 4 should help there

Old 14 January 2005, 01:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

(Oh & for those of a mischevous nature out there, its not connected to my published forum account )
Old 14 January 2005, 01:20 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I agree with Pumpkin... I have owned the xda for over 2 years, currently on the II model but III out now or soon?

Love it - could never do without it now especially for the sync with my outlook regarding appointmnts etc. Excellent companion on journeys with the TomTom and internet (not crappy wap).

Very stable unit and speedy too.
Old 14 January 2005, 01:42 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
(Oh & for those of a mischevous nature out there, its not connected to my published forum account )
Shame, was just about to put my bulk emailer to work just to see how good it really is!!!

Gary
Old 15 January 2005, 01:12 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

I find the Tom Tom voice directions to be clear and audible even on highest speaker setting.