Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Archos AV440 & Bullet-Cam

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2005, 12:50 AM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Archos AV440 & Bullet-Cam

Chaps,

Not sure if this is in the correct Forum, but want to buy a bullet-cam for filming in the racecar/subaru/snowboarding, etc....trouble is, my camcorder doesnt have an AV-In connection (only DV-Out & AV-Out). Camcorder doesn't really get much use anyway, certainly not enough to justify buying another one just to get AV-In.

Plan B....buy a Pocket Video Recorder such as the Archos AV440, and use that to record from bullet-cam...it can take a composite AV-In signal, but at 512x384 @ 30 frames/sec. Uses MP4 to store images, which I could then "AV-Out" to my DVD Recorder to archive footage...hopefully!

Now, the question is, is 30 fps sufficient?...my camcorder can record @ 25fps in Progressive Scan mode, but no idea how many fps in "normal" interlaced mode.

Archos unit sounds like v nice bit of kit....MP3 player, can offload pics from CF card on camera, store 40+ DVD's for watching on the train/holiday, schedule TV recordings, etc....but these arent the primary use. All reviews I've read indicate that people are really chuffed with them, but no-one appears to be using to record from a camcorder.

If anyones got any thoughts, I'd be very appreciative!

Cheers, Spencer.

PS...edited to say, I've tried speaking to Archos helpline, but you get through to a Dutch team (presume Archos are based in Netherlands), who weren't that knowledgable about this sort of thing...slight language barrier didn't help either, and I dont know anyone who has one to try it with.

Last edited by Spenny_B; 02 January 2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02 January 2005, 11:12 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

30 frames a second is fine. The PAL standard (your normal UK TV) is 25 fps.

You might want to check whether the Archos has any shock resistance built in though as I know some hard disks based portable devices can have a right fit if they are shaken too hard.

I can't find the main Archos site at the moment, but ensure the system *can* record from composite while away from its base station.

Cheers

Ian
Old 02 January 2005, 11:15 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

The Archos can only record from it's basestation.

www.archos.com

Last edited by Sith; 02 January 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02 January 2005, 12:13 PM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys....actually went ahead and bought one at 2.30 this morning (!!)...so the fact it should work is good news!

Sith, tomorrow, Archos are releasing a cable to plug into the side of the AV400 series, to enable you to record and playback without the base station...

Archos

...Now standing by the front door waiting for postman!!

Spen
Old 02 January 2005, 01:15 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Oooh, didn't know that. I love my AV420.
Old 02 January 2005, 06:58 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

There was a big thread on the Archos Yahoo groups about bullet cams and an AV something or other. I seem to recall the guy got it working in the end but only by very clever paddings was employed to stop the vibration. Hope it goes OK for you.