Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Prevent new dial-up connections with Group Policy?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 08:18 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prevent new dial-up connections with Group Policy?

Hi,

I'm primarily a Mac guy so I need some help from the Win gurus...

I was wondering whether it is possible to prevent the creation of new dial-up connections on Windows XP Pro (SP2) using Group Policy or by editing some Registry value?

This is for my dad's PC and I'm trying to lock it down as much as I can as he isn't the smartest of users when it comes to avoiding the installation of junk

I've done the usual stuff like removing his account from the Admin group, turning off the Welcome screen, anti-virus, firewall on, Spybot & AdAware installed and he's now switched to Firefox. Unfortunately one particular dialler keeps managing to half-install itself. I say "half-install" because it appears in the Network Connections menu but doesn't appear to be doing anything thankfully.

Thanks in advance!
Alex
Old 12 December 2004, 05:30 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

could you just hide network connections in group policy>user config>admin templates>control panel>show only specified control panel applets

remember to take off admins from the group policy or it will be hidden on that as well (need to uncheck simple file sharing in folder options and view then change ntfs permissions on c:\windows\system 32 \group policy. i usually just remove admins from it all together. Also you may need to check adanced and uncheck inherit permissions from parent folder

you sure a virus isnt trying to make another dialer???
if you make him a standard user can he still add connections?????? i didnt think you could just being a normal user
Old 27 December 2004, 10:37 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Sorry for such a delayed reply, I posted this thread then went on holiday and forgot about it

Got Norton CE on the box with latest defs. and it doesn't detect any viruses plus there's nothing unusual in Task Manager so I'm fairly sure that some dubious files are being downloaded and executed. I think we know which type of diallers we're talking about and the types of material they are typically distributed with so I won't elaborate

He's setup a standard user, hosts file and IE homepage locked against changes. Guess I could just block downloading of .exe

Cheers,
Alex