Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Remote wireless access (via phone?)

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 09:49 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote wireless access (via phone?)

Hello

My neighbour was asking me recently about accessing the internet while away from the office. He has a new laptop and a phone, and he wanted to connect to the internet via the phone. It has all been done before I'm sure, but he has been told some unbelievable prices for the data transfer. He says he would be charged for the amount of data transferred, and that 5MB would be an arm and a leg.

What's the solution? Any good phone / simcard data transfer packages out there which are affordable?

Thanks.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:03 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
Hello

My neighbour was asking me recently about accessing the internet while away from the office. He has a new laptop and a phone, and he wanted to connect to the internet via the phone. It has all been done before I'm sure, but he has been told some unbelievable prices for the data transfer. He says he would be charged for the amount of data transferred, and that 5MB would be an arm and a leg.

What's the solution? Any good phone / simcard data transfer packages out there which are affordable?

Thanks.
He's basically been told the truth.

When you use a mobile to connect to the WWW rather than a landline at the moment you have 3 options.

Bear in mind standard foxed line dial up speed is up to 56k

Standard mobile technology a.k.a. GSM - this is only 9.6k unless you are on orange when you can use there super high speed version (HSCSD) at up to 22k ish

GPRS - This is what your friend has been told about - speeds vary up to about 36k currently depending on network and the number of others using it on the same area as you

3G - in it's infancy, allegedly (!) promises speeds up to broadband.

With GSM, like a dial up line, you pay for the time you use it regardless of quantity of data, but it WILL be slow

With GPRS & 3G you pay depending on volume of data sent, often with an amount bundled and then a price per Mb after that.

Basically I would say surfing via mobile (unless work is paying!) is too expensive to be worthwhile unless what you are doing is critical. I will occasionally dial up to send a critical email or something, but otherwise I wait till I get home/work.

HTH

Alex
Old 10 December 2004, 12:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

The last time I looked, 02 were charging £3 per megabyte. Which is hugely expensive.

Steve.