Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can a 'broken' digital camera kill SD cards?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2004, 01:03 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 'broken' digital camera kill SD cards?

Hi there,

I have a Minolta E323 3MP digital still camera, which I've been very happy with. It's recently been dropped on concrete and although initially only the case seemed scratched up , it's started behaving strangely.

Firstly XP stopped recongnising the device via the USB cable (on two separate machines. I went and bought an SD card reader so I could rescue my photos, and after a bit of fiddling managed to get the backlog of photos off the card.

Now the SD card (128Mb generic SD) comes up with an IO error when inserted into the SD reader on the PC. I swapped to the OEM that came with the camera (16Mb SanDisk - gee thanks!) which is now showing the same behaviour. Both cards have the same problem even after I format them on the camera - they can store photos but I can't get them onto the PC.

Bear in mind the camera was working fine for about a month after it was dropped. In fact the camera still behaves just fine and takes photos as it always has done (perhaps it is pretending to behave normally but is actually messing up its own internal storage?)

I'm happy to buy another SD card - they're cheap as anything - but am I likely to find this next card is also messed up? Am I better off getting another camera? This is ever so confusing. Obviously the warranty would be laughed off by the store.

Thanks
Julian
Old 05 December 2004, 04:14 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried giving the card to somebody else to try in their camera. I would be very surprised if the camera is damaging the card.

You seem to have tried everything else.
Allan