Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox Live game performance - Halo 2

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2004, 12:53 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Xbox Live game performance - Halo 2

Does a faster broadband connection (i.e. 1mb or 2mb) give users an advantage in Halo 2 (and other online games).

I've only got 512k and when playing Halo2, some of the other players seem to be much faster...

Or is this just sour grapes?!

One other thing; does anyone know how to add a guest (on the same Xbox) when playing online? Tried the other night, but couldn't get it to work.
Old 02 December 2004, 01:40 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I noticed this the other evening.. I was getting some serious lag ( Pipex 512 connection ) Opponents were in front of me 1 secong, then it jerked and they appeared somewhere else! Very annoying...
Old 02 December 2004, 01:47 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Its not bandwidth as such that governs a good gaming connection. What is important is your ping response times and this will vary from provider to provider. As an example my old 512k Onetel line was a lot slower for gaming than a Firefly 256k line. I now have a Firefly 1mb line and have no need to go faster.
Old 02 December 2004, 01:49 PM
Bigwood
Scooby Regular

It totally depends who your internet service provider is, where you are situated in and around the UK, how you have set up your modem/network/hubs/routers etc.. But generally, a 512k connection will give the same performance as say a 1mb connection in internet games. Its called a PING, and your ping, say is the time in milliseconds, it takes for you to react to the server, so when you fire your gun, it should on average take 45/50ms (ping) to actually fire server side.

I myself get a 35ms PING, but i use a pc and play lots of Quake3..

There are ISP's out there that specialize in getting you the best possible pings for gaming, like Nildram gaming isp etc..

All explained in laymans terms!! I hope!
Old 02 December 2004, 02:16 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
I noticed this the other evening.. I was getting some serious lag ( Pipex 512 connection ) Opponents were in front of me 1 secong, then it jerked and they appeared somewhere else! Very annoying...
I'm on Pipex too! I only noticed the problem for the first time yesterday; I've played before without any problems.

I've had no complaints about the service up to now though.
Old 02 December 2004, 02:36 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Agreed, I have been with Pipex for a couple of years now with no problems at all. Played PGR2 on live with no problems, also THUG on the PS2 online is fine.. Just seems to be the last week Halo2 has struggled !!
Hopefully this is a temporary glitch with Pipex and will return to normal soon...
Old 02 December 2004, 03:08 PM
smithy1981
Scooby Regular

u may you start lagging because you can only upload at 128k, if you upgrade it will usually mean an upload speed of 256k, and a serious drop in lag.

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2004, 03:52 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shawa
Does a faster broadband connection (i.e. 1mb or 2mb) give users an advantage in Halo 2 (and other online games).

I've only got 512k and when playing Halo2, some of the other players seem to be much faster...

Or is this just sour grapes?!

One other thing; does anyone know how to add a guest (on the same Xbox) when playing online? Tried the other night, but couldn't get it to work.
I think it effects everyone in the game as well, it happened to me and I'm on a 1mb connection, nothing worse than creeping up on someone and then them magically jumping 90deg to the right and avoiding your well placed shotgun blast.

My tag is TSN Newbie in case anyone from scoobynet sees me in a game. Finally managed to play the foundation and beever creek maps on rumble slayer last night strangely they unlocked when I became level 6 but I was playing aginst people who were level 4 ??, anyway great fun.