Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDA help - contacts.txt from Nokia 9110 to SE P910?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2004, 11:21 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question PDA help - contacts.txt from Nokia 9110 to SE P910?

Just got my p910. The manual's in Portuguese, and doesn't seem to say much about the synching anyway. Tried playing with the CDs but they only seem to want to work with Outlook (which I've got but TBH I don't use - I don't need it and I'm not so organised, I find it far too bloated for my needs, just use Outlook Express for email).

For 5 years I had a Nokia 9110 (not even 9110i!), and this is backed up to my PC. There is a general backup file, and a separate contacts file, apparently a .txt one. I don't care about what's in the general backup file, at least not for the moment.

I lost the Nokia a month ago, so I only have the contacts on PC.

Is there an easy (or even not so easy ) way to load it into my p910? (I'm not even sure if the fields will match properly - will be peeved if I have to move all the mobile numbers from one to another, or cut up the names into first name / surname).

Many thanks in advance

Brendan
Old 01 December 2004, 11:42 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Just got my p910. The manual's in Portuguese, and doesn't seem to say much about the synching anyway. Tried playing with the CDs but they only seem to want to work with Outlook (which I've got but TBH I don't use - I don't need it and I'm not so organised, I find it far too bloated for my needs, just use Outlook Express for email).

For 5 years I had a Nokia 9110 (not even 9110i!), and this is backed up to my PC. There is a general backup file, and a separate contacts file, apparently a .txt one. I don't care about what's in the general backup file, at least not for the moment.

I lost the Nokia a month ago, so I only have the contacts on PC.

Is there an easy (or even not so easy ) way to load it into my p910? (I'm not even sure if the fields will match properly - will be peeved if I have to move all the mobile numbers from one to another, or cut up the names into first name / surname).

Many thanks in advance

Brendan

I would first off download the latest PC suite from the SE support site. Then try and import the text file of your contacts into Outlook. If you can get the contacts into outlook ok then just point the PC suite to the right place on outlook and do a sync. The hard part I guess is trying to import the text file to Outlook.
Old 01 December 2004, 11:48 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You sorted out any apps for it yet?
Old 01 December 2004, 10:44 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, thanks for the suggestions

Apps? Hah! Got to work out how to make calls on it so far!

Right, I can open the contacts in Excel, then I can save as CSV or Excel. Outlook will import such files. Trouble is, Outlook wants data1.msi file to install the converter, which is on the original MSOffice disk. Which I don't have.

Going off to onder2:...
Old 02 December 2004, 08:11 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Brendan,

This web page claims to convert .csv files to .vcf (vCard) files which your P910 will happily import. Convert your file to vCard format then simply copy it over to the P910 using Bluetooth/IR/Sync Station etc. Click on the file on your P910 and it should prompt you to import it to the address book.

Good luck!
Alex
Old 02 December 2004, 09:48 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

oooh, cheers Alex! I'll give it a go when I have the file!
Old 02 December 2004, 09:48 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Hi mate, thanks for the suggestions

Apps? Hah! Got to work out how to make calls on it so far!

Right, I can open the contacts in Excel, then I can save as CSV or Excel. Outlook will import such files. Trouble is, Outlook wants data1.msi file to install the converter, which is on the original MSOffice disk. Which I don't have.

Going off to onder2:...
ha ha.... good luck with it then!

If need be post a thread or PM and if I can help with apps I will. Sman is essential IMHO. http://renegade.w3xs.com/droll.htm it's free as well.