Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 10:52 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ADSL connection problem

My Pipex ADSL service went live yesterday, but I can't connect to it and am hoping someone can offer some advice.

On the PC, the network set-up is as per the instructions from Pipex and my internet connections have also been set up correctly.

I configured my Netgear DG814 correctly and then re-booted it, followed by the PC.

When I tested the connection from the router (accessed via the web browser) to the internet, it failed. I then realised that the 'internet' light on the router was off. I checked all the cables, the microfilter, swapped cables to spare ports, re-booted multiple times (router and PC) and eventually, the 'internet' light on the router came on (I don't think it resulted from anything I did). However, at that point, I was unable to access the router configuration, via my web browser and nor could I access the internet.

After much more testing, re-booting, etc. to try to find the cause of the problem, I am now at the stage where I can't get the router to 'see' the internet and I can't access the router.

I've set this up before when I was with Virgin.net ADSL and it was all very straightforward.
Anyone have any idea what the cause of the problem might be?

Last edited by shawa; 16 November 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 16 November 2004, 02:51 PM
Juan Kemeoff
Scooby Newbie

Switch off any firewall programs that might be running. Short of that, it sounds like the modem's up the shoot.

Cheers

Juan
Old 16 November 2004, 03:38 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Question

I already tried shutting down the firewall, but it made no difference. It's an ADSL router/modem and I think it's working okay.

I suspect that this is somehow down to set-up, but don't know where to look at.
Old 16 November 2004, 03:50 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Phone up Pipex and see if they can ping the external interface of your router. We had exactly the same problem (with Pipex) and after multiple calls to them they eventually sent out a BT engineer. He came out and tested the line and then miraculously it started working. BT are a law unto their own.......

Originally Posted by shawa
I already tried shutting down the firewall, but it made no difference. It's an ADSL router/modem and I think it's working okay.

I suspect that this is somehow down to set-up, but don't know where to look at.
Old 16 November 2004, 03:55 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the hard reset was next on my list of things to try, but I don't think it'll make any difference. Still...have to rule it out!

What's weird about this is the intermittent nature of the problem, i.e. one minute the PC could 'see' the router, but not the next...one minute the router could 'see' the internet, but not the next.

I'll also phone Pipex. Don't really want to waste another whole evening on it!

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 16 November 2004, 04:02 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I would take the router out of the equation first and see if Pipex is up and running with just the USB modem they supply... If that works fine then the problem is deffo down to your router/router settings ( and Pipex will probably not help you on that front )

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2004, 07:04 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

check with pipex that they do not lock down what MAC address can access the ADSL connection. Sometimes they will record the MAC address of the supplied modem and only allow that MAC address to access the line. If the netgear supports MAC address spoofing you can spoof the USB modem MAC address, if not then you will need to get them to grant access to your netgear's MAC address.

Originally Posted by Mogsi
I would take the router out of the equation first and see if Pipex is up and running with just the USB modem they supply... If that works fine then the problem is deffo down to your router/router settings ( and Pipex will probably not help you on that front )
Old 16 November 2004, 08:10 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Problem is resolved...thanks for all the suggestions.

The router-specific instructions from the Pipex web site, indicated that the DNS address should be automatically obtained from the ISP, however, in the letter which they sent me on 'go live' day (right at the bottom of the 4th page), primary and secondary DNS addresses are listed. Once I added those in the router configuration, I could get online.

I still don't understand why I couldn't access the router when it was connected to the phone line (I could only do so once I unplugged it and re-booted the router), but who cares?!
Old 16 November 2004, 08:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Glad its sorted, if you have connection problems again uninstall your firewall. I spent 2 days trying to sort a new network/router out. Kept disabling the software firewall, but it never worked. Finally worked when I ditched the FW altogether.