Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Compter Virus

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2004, 10:47 PM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compter Virus

Help. Im being sent computer virus's on a daily basis now. Norton always picks it up but I want to complain to the ISP of whoever is sending them. He/she makes them appear as though they come from somebody else but I have found the I.P addresse of the sender.

My question is where do I look up the IP to get the ISP's name and will complaining to the ISP get any results ? Do the ISP's take a dim view of this ?

Thanks for any help
Old 24 October 2004, 11:03 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

It isn't he/she making them look like they come from elsewhere - that is the virus doing that.

That said, if the user had decent A/V software, their PC would not have become compromised, and would not be sending on the virus.

Do a tracert on the IP address from a command prompt ( Start > Run > type cmd and press enter, in the command window that appears type tracert [the ip address] and press enter. The first line of the trace should give clues as to who the ISP is.

Mose ISPs have an abuse department which is who you should submit the report. Email address (at a guess) will be abuse@[ispname] Include the header from one of the emails.

HTH
Old 24 October 2004, 11:09 PM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply m8. I have found out that the I.P's concerned both belong to Tiscali ISP so Ive emailed them.

Does anyone know, is it a criminal offence to knowingly send a virus to somebody ?
Old 24 October 2004, 11:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

>Does anyone know, is it a criminal offence to knowingly send a virus to somebody ?

Depends on where you live. In the UK it is.
Old 24 October 2004, 11:34 PM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
>Does anyone know, is it a criminal offence to knowingly send a virus to somebody ?

Depends on where you live. In the UK it is.
Yep, Im still in blighty - until my six numbers come up