Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Firewall settings?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 11:34 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

>decided to rely on the Linksys stuff.

Although the Linksys kit will stop a whole bunch of nasty tricks, I wouldn't and don't rely on it. It's just a bonus. There are plenty of free personal firewalls out there.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:52 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Zone Alarm Security Suite. Seems really good in conjunction with Mcafee AV.

Also have a seperate PC which has the BB connection in acting as a NAT PC with Kerio PFW and Mcafee AV.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:58 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just managed to get broadband (after a titanic struggle with those wassocks at BT!) and set up a wireless router (Linksys WAG54G) with 3 machines hanging off of it. An XP SP1 laptop, Main pc running XP SP2 and a Red Hat 9 box. The question is about firewalls and settings as I have no experience of setting any up and so I'd like the collective wisdom and experience of SNers to guide me rather than 'suck it and see' after some cursory mugging up on the subject.

I turned off the SP2 firewall 'cos I couldn't communicate with my other machines at home with it on! I tried a few settings that seemed obvious but I guess Microsofts engineers don't see 'obvious' where I do ... so I've more or less decided to rely on the Linksys stuff. Anyone got any advice on what settings I should use? All set as default at the moment.

I did goto the Trend Penicillan site and did a 'free check' and I had a) no viruses (run McAfee) and b) no vulnerability to hackers. According to them ...

But all tips appreciated.

Dave

Dave,
I have exactly the same router as you (WAG54G) and have the firewall enabled by default PLUS I use Norton Internet Security on my desktop and laptop.The Linksys firewall is pretty good to block out things like Trojans etc etc but I wouldn't totally rely on it.As mentioned earlier,a good personal firewall is a must and after all they aren't that expensive (Some good free ones available for download via the web too)

Good luck

Nick