Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Halifax email, fraud or not ???

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2004, 07:41 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halifax email, fraud or not ???

got this email today, I'm not even a customer of Halifax
Old 02 October 2004, 08:05 PM
OBH6UK
Scooby Regular

Your link has expired. If you’re not a customer then it must be ‘dodgy’. I assume it will be the same or similar to an e-mail as I received today or yesterday via my motor clubs e-mail address no doubt lifted from our website by a bot. Defiantly iffy along with the Barclays Bank, Lloyds Bank, Ebay, Paypal, several American Banks e-mails currently doing the rounds.
Old 02 October 2004, 08:13 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK, no online bank will EVER ask you for personal information via e-mail. If you have any links requesting this, then treat them as bogus.

Stefan
Old 02 October 2004, 08:57 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Definately bogus.

as Ozzy says no bank/building society would EVER ask you for personal info in an e-mail.

it delete!
Old 02 October 2004, 09:40 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Yes it is bogus, big thing about it on BBC news yesterday. Source apparently is Russian and they already got millions out of peoples accounts.

DELETE IT !!!
Old 03 October 2004, 12:11 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

From the (official) Halifax (BOS) web-site...

I have received an e-mail from you asking for my online sign-in details? Should I reply?
No. We would never send e-mails that ask for confidential or personal security information and it is very important that you do not reply to the e-mail. We are aware of a number of fraudulent e-mails that are currently circulating in the UK that encourage banking customers to visit a website where personal card or internet security details are requested. To assist our enquiries, please forward the e-mail to ´onlineemailinvestigations@hbosplc.com´ and then delete it immediately without responding or visiting any site detailed within the e-mail. If you are concerned that you may have disclosed any personal or security details please call our Helpdesk on 0845 850 0629.
...so you may wish to forward the e-mail to the above address to help them establish a pattern and hence track the scammers down!

mb