Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Bluetooth GPS

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 04:17 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth GPS

Anyone use one of these, i have been using one with my pocket pc, so far i'm not that impressed with the GPS signal, it keeps losing the satellite signals.
Old 20 September 2004, 04:32 PM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Charlie_Boy
Anyone use one of these, i have been using one with my pocket pc, so far i'm not that impressed with the GPS signal, it keeps losing the satellite signals.
Been using a Fortuna Bluetooth GPS unit with my HP Ipaq for some time now. Very few problems with signal loss - only when in tunnels etc !!! Have used it all over Europe with no real probs.

What type of windscreen do you have ?? If it has screen heating wires these can affect the signal received.

jhdee
Old 20 September 2004, 06:40 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I have a normal handheld GPS and generally have no problems with reception. It is a very old Garmin 12 channel unit which dates from the mists of time, at least in GPS terms. It will even get a signal indoors on a good day with a bit of luck and half an hour for it to lock up.

What GPS unit do you have and under what circumstances is it losing lock? Perhaps with that info someone might be able to make a guess.

My general experience is that the GPS signal and receivers are very reliable outdoors and with a reasonable view of the sky. Even on a car dash I've found them to work well so perhaps you have a faulty unit?
Old 21 September 2004, 08:51 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jhdee
Been using a Fortuna Bluetooth GPS unit with my HP Ipaq for some time now. Very few problems with signal loss - only when in tunnels etc !!! Have used it all over Europe with no real probs.

What type of windscreen do you have ?? If it has screen heating wires these can affect the signal received.

jhdee
I also have the Fortuna "clip-on" bluetooth GPS, running with an IPAQ 2210 with no problems at all. Never lose satellites completely, apart from those tunnels too. The windscreen can cause problems so Ive heard if they have heating elements in.

Chris.