Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

web servers - how many concurrent users...

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 09:15 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default web servers - how many concurrent users...

hi

i know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions but...

can anyone give me a rough basic spec for a webserver running windows server (asp.net application) which will be serving up news type pages (a la BBC - dont know what the average kb per page would be?) and will need to be able to handle ~ 1750 concurrent connections? (total user base in the region of 175,000 (so aiming for 1%) but i can't see even 100 using it concurrently but of course it's a guessing game).

many thanks
steven
Old 01 September 2004, 09:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

You could probably run it on a knackered old laptop, just don't expect it to run very quickly.

Seriously though, without knowing what performance you need, what connection you have (which may be the limiting factor), if you need any redundancy, are you using a SQL / Oracle / MySQL back end, on the same box, different box, with Gigabit connections etc etc etc. Which version of Windows server??

To give you an idea, for that sort of user base we have 3 load balanced web servers, 2 read SQL servers and 1 write SQL server and a NAS/file server. All interconnected with multiple Gigabit NICs and then plugged in to the UK internet backbone at Telehouse. But then we have SLA's to worry about.
Old 01 September 2004, 09:40 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

olly,

windows server 2003. ms sql server.

it will probably be hosted by someone like BT - connection speed, well hmmmm will need to check on what is available and bandwidth.

as for processor spec, i've read for 100 concurrent users i should be aiming for dual pentium 4 2ghz and i was guessing that this figure wouldn't be directly scalable for x10 those users. i know these questions are hard to answer unless you know the exact details.

interesting about the 2 read servers v. 1 write server, never heard about seperating a database in this way.
Old 01 September 2004, 10:28 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

it is amazing the spec that u need for 'just a website'

We have 3 Webservers and 1 sql server running about 30 websites
tho thats only about 100 concurrent users per webserver.
however, it was running slow, so have had just commisioned a new sql server.