Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Computer Base System Advice

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2004, 11:07 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Base System Advice

I am going to replace my trusty old Athlon system with a new base unit (dont need a monitor as I have a Mitsubshi 19")

The 2 systems I have seen are the tiny system here http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=10030

Or the Hp system from comet here http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/110_207098.html

I am favouring towards the HP system just because it is HP

any body have any dealings with either products or companies? Advice greatly recieved

Any others I should look at up to £800 inc vat
Old 15 August 2004, 11:52 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Tiny used to have extremely poor after sales services. Don't know if they've improved any of late.

HP are pretty good machines, but the ones sold through stores like Comet are often built to a price, not a quality.

Check out DELL (for systems without monitor, take a look in the Outlet Store section) or MESH Computers
Old 16 August 2004, 07:19 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dell are rubbish as well - check out the cheap plastic cases. The best that can be said is that they are still way better than Tiny. I'd put H-P over Dell myself, but it's still choosing between bad and worse. All the big OEMs built average machines from cheap non-standard parts. Just never plan to upgrade. And pick the H-P.

M
Old 16 August 2004, 09:10 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

IMHO, mesh is much better than tiny.
Old 16 August 2004, 10:18 AM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

DELL are OK, we use them here at work and they're very reliable. But my biggest thing against DELLs are they use non-standard parts. Their motherboards never seem to be a standard form-factor, I've even found the connectors on their power supplies are wired non-standard too. If you don't want to upgrade the PC, or are happy to go to DELL if you do want to upgrade (they may charge a premium), then they're fine.

If, on the other hand, you'd like a PC that you can upgrade in the future without being tied to one manufacturer, go to one of the PC builders that'll build a PC from standard off-the-shelf components.
Old 16 August 2004, 06:09 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark_h
If, on the other hand, you'd like a PC that you can upgrade in the future without being tied to one manufacturer, go to one of the PC builders that'll build a PC from standard off-the-shelf components.
This would alway be my advice. Ask around work/friends for an independant computer company that can be trusted and then take a spec along to them - they should be able to at least match the Dull price.

BTW, do not buy the extended warranty or I will have to kill you...

M
Old 16 August 2004, 07:17 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

We use Dell at work but they are a bit pricey and could not specify one with out a monitor.

I may look at Micro Direct in Manchester (where I got my old system from.)

Our local PC shop I would not trust. They messed one of the works PC's up big time.

I never thought about upgrading, I remeber buying a Amstrad years ago and getting bit by non standard parts, even the floppy drive was a different voltage and speed!
Old 16 August 2004, 07:24 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Nowadays the principle non-standard parts in OEM machines are the motherboard and power supply. Drives are usually standard, but not as good as others you can buy elsewhere. Beware also SFF (small form factor) cases from H-P and alike - they use half-height graphics cards which are almost impossible to find anywhere else but the OEM. And gfx is one of the first things you'll want to upgrade. Some companies also seem to have developed a way of stopping other people's RAM working properly - Compaq were a b*st*rd for that. Not sure now they're owned by H-P. Dull cases are horrible to work inside if they still have those stupid clam-shell jobs.

I'd suggest a Shuttle XPC and fit the needed bits (CPU, RAM and drives) yourself, or get a techie mate to do it for a crate of beer (we all work for beer...). Only downside is limited tech support unless you have blonde hair and big t*ts...

M
Old 16 August 2004, 07:33 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Only downside is limited tech support unless you have blonde hair and big t*ts
LOL

I was thinking about specing up a pc in bits from ebuyer but it seemed to work out more expensive in bits than buying one. Plus I could not decide on a motherboard there are that many available!