Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX Modding (again!!)

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2004, 02:26 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up XBOX Modding (again!!)

Hi people,
right it's time to mod the xbox, a local place will sort it out for me, but have the option of an "Alladin" chip or an "XBIT" chip. The XBIT he wants £20 more for, and from what I can discover it has a bigger ROM for flashing BIOS(+ ability for multi-BIOS) and also has a USB port, so you can independatley flash the BIOS from your laptop/PC, without the XBOX switched on. I can see the advantage is if you have a bad FLASH, you can reflash, or boot with another BIOS. Main point is, will I ever NEED to change the BIOS once first set-up?????
Hope someone can help out, as I've tried to research this, but gets a little confusing/technical!!!!

PS- The MOD is to allow me to use the XBOX as a media centre. ;-)

Is it worth paying the extra £20 for the bells & whistles????

Last edited by Proby521; 15 August 2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 15 August 2004, 03:25 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Try posting the question to www.xbox-scene.com. I've got an XEcutor Pro and it's excellent. Fitted it myself though
Old 15 August 2004, 08:20 PM
CraigSH
Scooby Regular

I have the X-Bit chip and it works sweet as a nut I used the executer bios and got a installer disk with the new dashboard on it. Its really easy and I would recommend you do it yourself because most places rip you off when they do it. The xbit uses pogo sticks so you basically just screw it onto the board lining it up with the points on the motherboard.

I chipped lots for friends and some dont work properly especially the early models i think version 1.0 and 1.1 your xbit chip will be permantly on.

How much are they asking for it to be done and do you get the whole shindig with the dashboard and media centre and all program isntalled ?
Old 15 August 2004, 09:15 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Cool if i takes the xecutor bios then you're laughing. I'd recommend getting the Slayer EvoX auto installer iso v2.5 via bittorrent. You burn this to a DVD-R, boot from it, and it'll install the EvoX dash, XBMC, region free DVD player etc. It saves loads of time.
Old 16 August 2004, 08:40 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

Xbit + XMBC = Can't lost
Old 16 August 2004, 10:43 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

right, looks like I'm onto the XBIT then, they want £40 for the alladin fitted, or £60 for the XBIT fitted. The bloke who deals with them is not back off holiday till tomorrow (Tues) so I can't ask him any more questions. I suspected the XBIT to be a "solderless item" and suppose I should fit it myself if thats true, should not be a problem. I think they said £40 supply only for the XBIT. Need to find out what VERS the XBOX is now....... I'll do some more reasearch.
Many thanks,

Chris.

PS - From the kernel No it looks like its between V1.2-V1.5, have to open her up to find out more I think.

Last edited by Proby521; 16 August 2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 16 August 2004, 10:05 PM
CraigSH
Scooby Regular

You should be ok then, 1 thing i didnt mention is if you want to be able to switch the X-BIT chip on and off thru the power switch you only have to solder 1 wire, then you can just hold the power button for 3 seconds and it boots up into the normal xbox dashboard so you can still use xbox live and keep it upto date

I would recommend getting a new HDD with the money you will save doing it yourself. I got a 80gb in mine but you can go for whatever you like and then run all your games off the HDD much quicker.
Old 17 August 2004, 08:12 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

If you arn't bothered with having the xbit switch on the outside of the machine, do it yourself. It's SO easy to do. Basically taking apart the xbox takes 5 mins, 5 screws on the box, 4 inside, unplugging 2 cables, and then screwing down the xbit. Easy peasy.

Having said that, Xbit solderless only works on some of the older xbox's, you might have to solder it to the board which can be a pain in the **** cos the solder points are tiny.

How old is the xbox?
Old 17 August 2004, 09:51 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

The XBOX was bought at the beginning of January, and from the info I can find is between V1.2 - V1.5. I think I'm gonna do it myself.Well, I'll have a go anyway......I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Chris.