Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

which anti virus

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 12:13 AM
steve2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which anti virus

Anybody know what the best anti virus software is.

cheers
Old 13 August 2004, 12:22 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

This is the mut's nuts

Good source of info here

McAfee is also rated pretty high by SN users.

Darren
Old 13 August 2004, 07:23 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
Good source of info here
Except it says a load of tosh about Sophos, most of it being incorrect
Old 13 August 2004, 08:20 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not very accurate about AVG either.

M
Old 13 August 2004, 08:32 AM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

I just bought the new version of Trend PC-Cillin Internet Secuirty www.antivirus.com. Has firewall, av, anti spam etc and can be had for $24.95 which works out at about £14.

I used to use Norton but found it very slow to do a system scan, tried McAfee thought it was good, but found PC-Cillin better and for the price I didn't think I could go far wrong.

Steve
Old 13 August 2004, 09:07 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

LOL @ it saying AVG slows machine. Not compared to Norton it doesn't!!! I had to take Norton back off when i changed from AVG. Went for Avast in the end after recommendation on here. It's free and seems to be the bees knees. Manual scanning is a bit odd, but ok once you work out whats going on...
Old 13 August 2004, 10:32 AM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Personally i would recomend Sophos, forget what the review says thats a load of bo11ocks. Ive used it for 5+ years now and no company/client i have worked for with Sophos has been hit.
That cant be said about some others using different AV software.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:55 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Sophos, agreed with Redkop that report is a load of carp.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:55 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

I used to be a sophos reseller.. we jacked that in and started using Mcafee.. wouldnt recommend anything else..

id say its 50% down to the software and 50% down to the user knowing that its upto date and working correctly..

Dont have this worry with VirusScan.

David
Old 13 August 2004, 11:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

More Subaru drivers work for McAfee.
Old 13 August 2004, 11:57 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

....is self updating, no tedious scheduling / manual database refreshing.. Avast being free is why it get's my vote
exactly the same here... well doesnt cost me anything.. lets see how good it is at enterprise reporting though (mcafee = company's cost problem.. not mine)
Old 13 August 2004, 12:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

>Your point being ?

This is a website for Subaru enthusiasts. More Subaru driving McAfee employees are here to help you should you require assistance with a McAfee related enquiry. It's an important point.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:30 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

IMO I've found the freebee antivirus programs to be pants and I hate Norton as its soooo slow and well, rubbish.

I usually use either PC-cillin or McAfee, saying that I need to replace my licence actually

As Steve said, PC-Cillin Internet security 11 is quite good, has spam, firewall, free PDA protection (if you require it)

I'm sure the new McAfee product has a simlar set of functions so I'll most likely go for that.

Oh and whilst we are on topic. McAfee and Trend Micro have a good online support system should you have a problem. In my eyes you get what you pay for

Darren
Old 13 August 2004, 12:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

AVG and the like have repeatedly crashed PC's, they would not detect virus updates (apart from Avast which did update automatically ), they would not find viruses that other programs found (such as Trend's free scanner) and generally I was not happy with them.

At the end of the day its personal opinion. Some like to use free programs to cover their machines, me I prefer to use a large well established company like NAI or Trend and then pay.

On the support note again, I've used Trend Micro's support team countless times over the last few years (must be getting on for 50 times and I have to look after over 100 PC's with PC-cillin and Officescan Corporate edition installed) and every time they have assited without fault and have been prompt. I can't see the small companies providing this level of support given the fact that their programs are free.

Darren
Old 13 August 2004, 12:57 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Crozier
The worst thing about AVG is the removal, I have used it for years without problems and does a great job ... it trashed my Laptop on removal as the setup.exe actioned through Add/Remove programs is mighty unstable.

Just my 2 penneth
You are so right. I thought it was just me. Absolute nightmare to remove. Just out of interest how did you remove it?
Old 13 August 2004, 01:07 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Jason,

Did I say that NO, I didn't. I am just stating my experience with the products, be it good or bad.

I know of many people who thing AVG is the muts nuts and think McAfee and the like are just products pumped full of extras that slow a system down. However, I also know of a similar amount of people that feel the same way I do.

It's up to Steve to decide which product he wants given the comments above.

Darren
Old 13 August 2004, 01:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

>The software you mention have things such as ICSA certification, which is obtained >by doing all the things you 'say' these can't.

Writing a product to pass tests is easy, writing a product that works well in the real world is a different matter.
Old 13 August 2004, 01:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I don't know of any 'Pants' antivirus products, all have their good points. But, having worked with the McAfee engine for 11 years I can say that it's the best in the world for detection and most importantly removal. I'm fully prepared to put that to the test, all you need is a license for the products you'd like to test us against, bring them into Aylesbury and I'll set up a machine with a good collection of nasties.
Old 14 August 2004, 01:52 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I used PC-Cillin when I got a free copy with my motherboard, v2002 and that was not amazingly good, but I have never had a really bad virus with it, or any other software to be honest (have without any mind) before PC-Cillin I had Norton, but that nearly made my ol' P3 machine come to a standstill, my dad uses it, and I generally take exception to it, just seems annoying in many of the ways already mentioned.

When the licence ran out on PCC2002, I decided to check out AVG, heard a lot of people mention it, and why pay for something that works for free. Mostly it's been great, however, I did get the PSW.PERFECT.B trojan a couple of days ago which is very annoying.

Very annoying seems I had up-to-date AVG database and my firewall on, AND I had only just solved various stability problems with my PC (with assistance from scoobynet computer wise ), installed XP fresh, (and all the updates), was happy with my new functioning PC. Ran a AVG scan after installing all my software/files found nothing. However, I had forgotten to switch off restore function (argh), scanned later on schedual and found this ba$tard trojan, but doesn't do anything about it, can't remove it, can't quarantine it either. Having said that, Panda online, and Trend House call also can't. Have even downloaded a Trojan remover and various other tools which also can't get rid of it. Internet searches seem to suggest deleting reg entires in safe mode and other fiddly annoying things, you'd rather a trusty bit of software did on your behalf!

I am now considering removing it and buying something online... Just giving Avast a try, downloaded it / updated - now scanning....

Edit: RE: Removing AVG: B.T.W. no problem removing AVG as far as I can see, I used the AVG uninstaller, seemed to work fine. When Avast finshes will do a search to see if it left anything behind..

Results from Avas scan:

8/17/2004 04:41:30 NICK-GR89M2EF1F\Nick 3712 Sign of "Win32:Kuang2" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan\imscan.dll" file.
8/17/2004 04:41:56 NICK-GR89M2EF1F\Nick 3712 Sign of "Win95:Matyas" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan\pav.sig" file.
8/17/2004 04:43:12 NICK-GR89M2EF1F\Nick 3712 Sign of "Win95:Matyas" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\pav.sig" file.

This is the scan results from Avast, found quite a few things AVG missed, along with the trojan... :-/

Although the trojan seems is no where to be seen....

Last edited by mynickers; 14 August 2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 14 August 2004, 01:59 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I don't know of any 'Pants' antivirus products, all have their good points. But, having worked with the McAfee engine for 11 years I can say that it's the best in the world for detection and most importantly removal. I'm fully prepared to put that to the test, all you need is a license for the products you'd like to test us against, bring them into Aylesbury and I'll set up a machine with a good collection of nasties.
Discount for scoobynet members?

Does it get rid of "PSW.PERFECT.A, B, and C"? I can't get rid of the critter. Although no one has taken controll of my PC, stolen my ****, and killed me yet, so it doesn't seem to be active or being exploited, still I don't really want it on there all the same! And I really find following instructions to remove reg-keys a bit tedious - makes me want to have a mac!

Last edited by mynickers; 14 August 2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 14 August 2004, 10:04 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Wanadoo have just about the best discount at the moment. All you need is a wanadoo email address and I'm pretty sure you can get one of those for free. I can set up a Scoobynet purchase page with a discount and revenue share, perhaps for charity... something to look at.

Give Freescan a try http://uk.mcafee.com/root/mfs/ if it detects the critters then chances are we'll remove it for you.
Old 14 August 2004, 07:50 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Hi Jack,

Thanks for link, got quite a few free online ones now, they're handy..

Checked out wanadoo, FYI: you have to sign up for dial up internet, which isn't such a pain, (as long as you don't install their dialing software). *The deal is you can download McAfee for 30-day trial, not sure if you get a discount at the end, haven't installed it, but have the installer..
Old 14 August 2004, 09:26 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

NOD32 Antivirus, best antivirus software available
Old 14 August 2004, 09:42 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular