Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Major Problem Regarding Sage / Network.

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 10:43 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Major Problem Regarding Sage / Network.

OK, I'll try and keep this as simple as possible :

I have recently had 2 PC's replaced from old ones running win 98 to new ones running xp.

The PCs that were in were connected with a cable. The new PCs are now connected using wireless technology.

The PCs are just used for accounts, and therefore use Sage (version 9.1) With the new system, whilst working within Sage, one of the PCs is REALLY slow, such as when I raise a report or do a search - there is a BIG delay between pressing a button and anything on the screen changing.

Got the company in that installed the PCs - they thought it was slow because of the wireless technology...fair enough I said, put the cable back in, which they did - no improvement at all.

He is blamed the version of Sage we have, saying when version 9.1 was released it wasn't "brilliant working with xp as xp had just been launched..."

Rang Sage - "your version is completely compatible with xp sir" and did a load of tests to make sure it was setup correctly.

So the top and bottom of it is that the guy that installed all the PCs (5 in total - 3 in another office) is blaming Sage for the performance issues, Sage are blaming him and the network he has setup (remember we never had a problem with the old PCs - you spend over 4k on PCs you expect them to see an improvement right )

So has anyone any suggestions/help at all ? I really don't know which way to turn. I don't want to fall out with the company I've used but I'm really having to bite my tongue...It seems its such a hastle for them to come out, as if they've got our money and aren't bothered about any after sales care...

Thanks for reading, sorry its long...

Matt
Old 29 July 2004, 11:20 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

had a similar problem with Sage, cant remember what version as it was about 3 years ago.

Have a look at the drivers for the network cards.
Old 29 July 2004, 11:41 PM
bigman
Scooby Regular

I work for a computer reseller and we have experienced quite a few issues with XP and Sage; however there are solutions to them all.

The main issue is getting it to work full stop, this is due to a security rights issue when machines are connected to a domain controller; however as you do not have a server as such and yours appears to be working albeit slow, i assume this is not a problem.

From your comments I would rule out the wireless as if the problem is the same when hardwiring or wireless it is not the network cards.

The biggest issue I normally face is when people are running reports or scrolling up and down ledgers etc. We usually get complaints that this runs painfully slow and that the new super PC's are running crap etc etc.

This is normally down to the fact that 99% of all virus checkers are constantly scanning the sage database everytime you send a request. A quick way to rule it out, is to temporarily disable or remove the virus scanner from BOTH machines and then try it again.

If this sorts out the issue, ring sage and they will tell you which database files to exclude from the virus realtime virus scanning; i have a list somewhere if they do not know. Alternatively completely remove the sage directorys from being realtime scanned.

There is also a sage service pack available for windows XP client; unfortunately though Sage are very reluctant to send it out. I normally tell them i am having access rights issues of which certain ones i cannot change due to company policies and they usually email it out.

Let me know if this doesnt work and i will see what else i can come up with.
Old 30 July 2004, 12:03 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick scanning of the last post i think he covers it, but if its the Dos based Sage Line 50/100 then if you are running Norton Anti-Virus it kills any dos based proggies, Get rid of norton and it will run like a dream

Old 30 July 2004, 12:34 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sage & networks are poo

Had all number of problems with it. Sage don't support Sage over VPN though with some clients it works well. Problems with Netware, printservers, IPX & all sorts

It is also one area their online support is not as good as the rest of it.