Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cheapest way to get XBox Surround Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2004, 01:54 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest way to get XBox Surround Sound?

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get XBox surround sound? I have the AV cable with the optical out lead, I'm assuming I now need a processor and speakers. My TV has Dolby Pro Logic but doesn't appear to have an input that would accept the Xbox optical out!

cheers,

Greg
Old 26 July 2004, 03:21 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Depends if you want Digital (DTS & dolby Digital) or not, really. Mines just connected via the optical cable to my surround amp.

What input connectors have you got on your current hardware ?
Old 26 July 2004, 03:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If the xbox is plugged into the inputs on the tv, and they include sound then that *might* give you surround sound through the TV.

I'm not suprised the TV does not have an optical in connection, I've not come across any that do (some might).

as Mr Dunk said, it depends what you are after, if you want DD or DTS then you're going to need an AV reciever with a digital input (TOS link, rather than coaxial, as the xbox use the TOS link type cable) and wire the thing up. Of course, this type of setup can be used with the TV as well as xbox, and thus adds to the movie experience

I've also got my xbox wired into my amp (component video input for picture, and digital input for sound, thus allowing DD and DTS)

Oh, when/if you do put it all together, don't forget to go into the xbox audio settings and enable DD and DTS support.
Old 26 July 2004, 03:36 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

ok, so what I want is surround sound on my games. If I want DD then I'll plug the Xbox into my home audio system.

I'll go dig out the TV manual.....

cheers,

Greg
Old 26 July 2004, 04:47 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

With a phono connection, via the original component leads, you could get Dolby Pro Logic or DPLII (analogue). Most games now are in Dolby Digital for quality surround sound, but Dolby Pro Logic still sounds good.
Old 26 July 2004, 07:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

all xbox games are dolby digital so the only way your gonna get this sound is thru an amp/reciever that does dolby digital sounds are awesome depending on which sub you use . i have a rel q200e and i have to some times switch the sub off as some of the games have that may explosions the neighbours would be constantly at my door got a racing game called speed kings and that shakes the house if you crash on that game