Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox Live and Internet Connection Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 04:40 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBox Live and Internet Connection Sharing

Finally got round to blagging a spare PCMCIA ethernet card and bought a long crossover cable so I can try and get on XBox live.. My W2000 laptop is on BT Openworld Broadband with a USB ADSL Modem.. I gather an ADSL router would be a better way to go but I'm loathe to spend any more money on this as I'm worried the router install could knacker my VPN link to work.

I'll be having a crack at setting it up tonight but is there anything I should know about? .. I've printed of the FAQ's on XBox live and it sounds fairly straightforward.. My main concern is that my pc has a McAffee firewall which I don't think I can disable (short of uninstalling it )

I've got a 2 month voucher thingie for XBox live which I'll use for now until I know I can get it up and working.. Is it worth getting the 12 month pack after that with the headset? Seems a better deal..

As for XBox live games.. I currently have TOCA 2, PGR2, Top Spin and Amped 2.. What others do you guys recommend? I have Halo but I think the multiplayer on this is split screen or system link only.. is this the case or is it on Live too?
Old 23 July 2004, 01:28 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gregjd
Finally got round to blagging a spare PCMCIA ethernet card and bought a long crossover cable so I can try and get on XBox live.. My W2000 laptop is on BT Openworld Broadband with a USB ADSL Modem.. I gather an ADSL router would be a better way to go but I'm loathe to spend any more money on this as I'm worried the router install could knacker my VPN link to work.

I'll be having a crack at setting it up tonight but is there anything I should know about? .. I've printed of the FAQ's on XBox live and it sounds fairly straightforward.. My main concern is that my pc has a McAffee firewall which I don't think I can disable (short of uninstalling it )

I've got a 2 month voucher thingie for XBox live which I'll use for now until I know I can get it up and working.. Is it worth getting the 12 month pack after that with the headset? Seems a better deal..

As for XBox live games.. I currently have TOCA 2, PGR2, Top Spin and Amped 2.. What others do you guys recommend? I have Halo but I think the multiplayer on this is split screen or system link only.. is this the case or is it on Live too?
you can allow LAN connections within the utilities options
Old 23 July 2004, 01:38 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I use Internet connection share for Xbox live and my Firewall doesn't bother it. As for games PGR2 and TOCA 2 are the games I play most of.

You can play Halo Via tunnel software that tricks the Box into thinking it has the system link cable in, so you can play 16 player halo over the net.

Do a search for Xboxconnect , I've only used it a few times cause the official Live is ten times better
Old 23 July 2004, 03:25 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

Tried and failed to get it up and running so far.. Xbox support seem to think it is the firewall.. Will have another play later. Found it a bit of a phaff as there are too many fields to potentially amend before the problem is solved..