Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

RAM

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2004, 12:40 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RAM

I have 128Mb of RAM in my PC - I'm just coming to the conclusion that I should really have double that. The PC is about 2 years old and running XPHome.

In an old PC a few years ago now, I added 32Mb to that PC - to complement the 32Mb that was installed.

Now, do I have to buy 128Mb? Or will my PC recognise if I just add 256Mb's (making 128+256?)

Also, how do I find out what speed my RAM is running at? I see that I can get 266 or 333MHz!? Or doesn't it really matter getting a faster one as it will just run as slow as the bus allows?

Cheers

Pete
Old 17 July 2004, 08:52 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

No, adding a 256 is fine. At least in theory. Depending on how old the rig is, you should be able to add a 512 if you want (and which would be better). In practice some RAM modules can be incompatable, so I'd advise you to get a single stick of 512, or two of 256, and replace the 128 completely. Make sure the seller agrees to take them back if they don't work in your rig.

As for speed, there's a good chance that there's a sticker on the side of the RAM module. Otherwise, what motherboard and what processor? Or it's an OEM machine, what exact model? There may be a sticker on the top/side giving the full model. Or you may need to go into BIOS and look. But yes, if you get (say) PC3200 it will run at ANY speed up to 200MHz, and certainly at slower speeds. BTW, are we talking SDRAM or DDR RAM?

M
Old 17 July 2004, 10:12 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your machine is a branded shop bought PC, you'll probably find it in the Crucial Memory Configurator.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/
Old 17 July 2004, 12:19 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

when installing the new RAM if u keep the 128mb place the new stick of RAM in the slot nearest the CPU or the computer will reconise it as only 128 if u put the smaller stick in the 1st slot
Old 17 July 2004, 12:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell!!

Whilst looking for what Medion PC I have (to type into the Crucial Memory site) I find the original spec of my PC ................. I says it has 256Mb RAM!! why does my PC tell me its only got 128Mb then??

I must say, I have wondered about why I have started to think the PC is slow - when I never worried in the past!?

Has something happened?

I think I will removed and plug the memory back in - maybe its not seeing half the card?

Any smarty pants want to point me in the right direction?! Or should I chuck the pile of junk away and start again!?

Pete
Old 17 July 2004, 05:18 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

It's possible that

a) The RAM is faulty, or

b) More likely, the stick is double-sided but your BIOS can only see single-sided RAM.

You could try removing the RAM and plugging it in another slot to see what happens. Make sure you power down and switch off at the mains before removal though. You can leave the box plugged in (it's actually better as it maintains an earth path), but it must be swtiched off.

BTW, what are the rest of the specs? It may be that adding RAM will make a minimal difference.

M
Old 17 July 2004, 06:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Meridian - I have just taken the RAM out and re-inserted it in another slot ..... it STILL says its 128Mb!?

The spec of the machine is:-

AMD1600XP processor
256Mb RAM - supposedly!
80Gb HD
F3 200 Titanium Graphics

and then the usual CD/WR DVD etc.

Anyone else know how to test my RAM??

Pete

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2004, 10:03 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

First of all, your CPU runs at 133MHz fsb, so odds are your RAM runs at 133MHz as well.

Second, is it DDR or SDRAM? If you don't know the diff, look at the part that plugs in. If there are two cutouts it's SDRAM, if only one then it's DDR. That will tell you what kind of RAM to buy.

Also, what is reporting only 128MB, the BIOS on boot (it should show a RAM test) or Windows? Because IIRC it's possible to stop Windows accessing all of the RAM and limiting it to a set amount.

And to test it you really need to plug it into another machine. If it shows 256 then it's your computer, if it still shows 128 then it's your RAM. It's not a Compaq by any chance is it?

M
Old 18 July 2004, 12:04 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Its DDR RAM - PC2100 is on the Siemens label

I have now put it back in the slot it was, no difference - can't 'see' anything wrong with the memory board (no burnt out tracks, faulty components, or anything)

Its windows that tells me it sees 128Mb - Control Panel - System

I had a major problem about 2 months ago where I re-installed XP on top of the old XP ........ I don't suppose its clever enough to 'split' the available RAM??

Anyway, how do I see what the BIOS sees? How do I let Windows 'see' the full 256Mb?

Pete
Old 18 July 2004, 07:10 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

First of all, PC2100 = 133MHz, so that's the speed sorted out. As for the RAM size, you need to watch the screen as the computer boots from cold. First of all, you may or not see a video BIOS screen (ATI cards don't have one, nVidia do), then you should see the first main screen with a couple of rows of writing with what looks like gibberish (it's things like the BIOS revision). Under that you should see a figure, or even a figure countins up - that's how much RAM the BIOS can see. If that says 128MB then you are in trouble, but if it sees 256MB then's it's a Windows thing. And the re-install shouldn't do that.

BTW, you didn't answer the Compaq question. Also, what do you use this machine for?

M
Old 18 July 2004, 11:33 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks Meridian - Its not a Compaq - its a MEDION from PCWorld

I have tried and tried to read what comes up when I boot, I have a Nvidia Graphics Card, but it disappears too quickly! Its there for about a second and then the windows screen appears! How can I possibly read it in that time? Any way of holding that info on the screen for a while longer?

The machine is used mainly for Word Processing, Internet, 'some' gaming, thats about in generally. Its not put under serious pressure ever!

Pete
Old 18 July 2004, 11:57 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Pressing the <Break>or <Esc> key should hold the screen for you. Press <Enter/Return> when you are ready to continue booting the PC.

I've never heard of the machine having a 256Mb module but Windows only recognising it as 128Mb. I'd think you only have a 128Mb module.

It sounds insane to think that only light PC use needs more memory these days, but the fact of the matter is Windows will use most of that 128Mb itself. When you start running a web browser and have a word processor open at the same time, the system will use virtual memory (ie. the hard disk) and your PC will then start to slow down in a major way!
Old 18 July 2004, 04:54 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I was posting at 7am on a Sunday and didn't read you previous reply properly!

class_A is pretty much there - the "pause" button does as advertised, and you press the space bar to continue. If it doesn't, press the escape key to resume.

And does that Siemens label not give a size as well as speed? Or try looking up the part number on the Siemens website - although finding the right place might take a while.

M
Old 18 July 2004, 08:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The module is labelled up as 256Mb!

Two sides of 128Mb each I would assume?

My biggest problem when booting is that a box comes up and notifies me of a change of Monitor refresh rate ( it appears about 5 times during start-up ) and it sadly hides the written stuff!!??

I'm in a mess aren't I?

Could I move what I want to keep onto my D drive - and then reformat the C drive? Or try another instal of WindowsXP? Then put them back when I want them?

I should NEVER have moved on from my Spectrum 48k!!

Pete
Old 18 July 2004, 09:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

OK, on start up - I have got the screen to freeze and it says:-

Base Memory: 640k
Extended Memory: 130048k ........... Is this RAM?!
L1 Cache: 128k
L2 Cache: 256k
DDR at Bank: 0 ................. or is this the RAM? and its says 0!!!

When I go into Control Panel - System .... it takes about 5 seconds to show the computer details (the rest comes up immediate) - it never took long in the past?!

Pete
Old 19 July 2004, 07:41 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

"Extended memory" is the RAM module, and 130048 is 128MB. So either the module is faulty, or somehow part is disabled, or (most likely) Siemens mislabelled it.

I'd go with my Plan A: ditch the existing RAM completely and buy new. Go for faster RAM than you need to give you room to upgrade the CPU/motherboard later - the price difference is minor. PC3200 would be my recommendation - 2 sticks of 256MB from Corsair. Then yes, copy all the stuff you want to D:\, then refomat and re-install Windows.

M
Old 19 July 2004, 12:39 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Shot in the dark - you have a graphics card on your motherboard which is sharing memory resources.

You do indeed have a 256meg stick - but at a very low level it is being shared between "windows" and "graphics" at an 50:50 split - this should be configurable in the BIOS

You *should* be able to stick another stick of "512 meg PC2100" in there without issue - but double check to make sure your motherboard can support it. You *may* need to update the BIOS (not really that scary!!).

Hope this helps

J
Old 19 July 2004, 12:49 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
I'd go with my Plan A: ditch the existing RAM completely and buy new. Go for faster RAM than you need to give you room to upgrade the CPU/motherboard later - the price difference is minor. PC3200 would be my recommendation - 2 sticks of 256MB from Corsair. Then yes, copy all the stuff you want to D:\, then refomat and re-install Windows.
Errr. . .

1. your memory is possibily not faulty - see previous post

2. 3200 ram is overkill in your system, if you have no plans to upgrade within the next 6 / 9 months (PC3200 is much more expensive than PC2100) go with the 2100.

3. Try and get a single stick of 512 - as it'll leave you more headroom to shove another in without throwing away one of the 2 x 256's. The only advantage of running 2 x 256 is if your motherboard supports Dual memory access - but the performance gain is not noticable unless you are doing really memory intensive stuff (video editing etc)

4. Corsair - While being very good quality memory, and having the ability to be overclocked significantly - will probabily be overkill in your system. Stick with branded mid-range memory like crucial

appologies to _Meridian_ if you take offence

Last edited by BlkKnight; 19 July 2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 19 July 2004, 05:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

So, looks like its a knackered RAM module

I think 1 stick of 512Mb would be a good choice - one reason for buying faster memory is that I could 'transfer' it to my next PC?

Really, I need to borrow some memory to make sure my motherboard isnt knackered and only 'seeing' half the RAM Module!?

Pete
Old 19 July 2004, 06:23 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Errr. . .

appologies to _Meridian_ if you take offence
No probs mate - I'm just much more used to advising people who plan to do to computers what the folks here do to scoobs...

Pete

Whereabouts are you? I may be able to lend you some RAM for a test - PM me. It might also be useful if I tested your RAM - if I can get any of my machines to run that slowly...

M
Old 19 July 2004, 07:39 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Pete, is your video card part of the motherboard or can it be taken out of your machine?
Old 19 July 2004, 07:42 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Pete

These people are good for cheap RAM:-

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/sear...?search=pc2100

Pete The Biker
Old 20 July 2004, 10:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

My Graphics card can be removed from the AGP slot

I have just been in the set-up part of the BIOS and it sees 128Mb!

Also, its DDR RAM - so, its got 2 sides ....... the BIOS says DDR in Bank 0 (which is correct - BUT is bank 1 the other side of the module? Just a thought! Or is it simply the next slot!?)

Pete
Old 21 July 2004, 10:30 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

If the AGP card can be removed, then something along the line is broken (as meridan suggests) & my suggestions about shared memory don't apply.

You need to do some research to find out what memory your mobo can take & shout @ pcworld as to why it never worked in the first place.
Old 21 July 2004, 10:31 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Pete

You might want to download a free copy of Sandra from here and run it - look at the section "Mainboard info". But yes, normally bank 1 is the opposite side to bank 0 in the same slot. However, without seeing your BIOS I couldn't be certain. As I said a while ago, I suspect your BIOS can't see the RAM properly.

Was the RAM ever upgraded? And have you ever changed the BIOS (I suspect not!). And how long have you had the machine? Is it still under (extended) warranty?

M
Old 22 July 2004, 07:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks Meridain I will try that link out

If the bank 1 is, indeed, the other 'side' of the slot then my BIOS is only seeing Bank 0 and I just have to get it to see Bank 1 as well!

When I go into the BIOS I see an option to reset default settings (is this the same as factory settings?) and, if so, will that do the job?

Thanks for all the help!

Pete
Old 22 July 2004, 07:55 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
When I go into the BIOS I see an option to reset default settings (is this the same as factory settings?) and, if so, will that do the job?
That depends - if you've never made any changes in BIOS it's a waste of time. You'll also have to change things like the boot order again if you altered them. And I've never heard of a BIOS setting that would turn off part of the RAM.

Unless I'm going blind again you never answered my questions: did you ever change either the RAM (or get someone else to do it) or the BIOS?

Also: can you remember if you've EVER seen the system show 256MB of RAM? And I did offer to lend you some to test and/or test yours....

M
Old 22 July 2004, 08:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Oooops sorry, I have a habit of not answering questions!

Was the RAM ever upgraded? NO

And have you ever changed the BIOS (I suspect not!). NO

And how long have you had the machine? Since 1st December 2001

Is it still under (extended) warranty? Nah

Can you remember if you've EVER seen the system show 256MB of RAM? I am 'pretty' sure that when I bought the PC I checked the spec. and that check would have been part of my investigation. Add to the fact that the module itself states 256Mb RAM then I am convinced that 128Mb has gone missing (the machine is noticably slower in Photoshop!)

And I did offer to lend you some to test and/or test yours.... Yes, I know - but I think I saw you were in Cambridge? I'm just North of Basingstoke!

Pete
Old 22 July 2004, 10:31 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

This is why G*d gave us Special Delivery. PM me if you want to temporarally trade a stick of mine for that stick. And I emphasise temporarally!

M